Do you think a mechanic shop would hire a female mechanic?

I want to go to school to be a mechanic but I'm sure I could get hired after I finish.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 12:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• We are rather good friends with a female mechanic and I think she would be the first one to tell you not to waste your time. If you can't afford to open your own shop, you're looking at a very long hard road, she's been doing this for over 10 years and WHEN she can find a place that will hire a female, she has to deal with people not wanting a woman working on their car, her male counterparts are rude and nasty and she can't ever stay at one place long because of the harassment... And if you "take action" against the people or places for harassment or whatnot, you are just about dooming yourself not to work again... It's sad, it shouldn't be that way, but it is.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:06 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• ya if you are good. but you may get a lot of crap from the men that work there.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• for one they had better or it is discrimination, for two they would actually probably fight over getting you to meet there quota for minorities in the workplace so yes you have a great chance at a job and actually better than most men (men are not a minority and not needed as badly to meet this quota) anyhow this doesn't mean you wont have to deal with the jokes and what not the guys you work with dole out- just don't let them be inappropriate.. GL and congrats to you!!!!!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Wow! Thanks for the advice. That really sucks though. Now I'm not sure what I want to do. Not that I don't change my mind daily anyways...
    fairyinabubble

Comment by fairyinabubble (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I have thought about that career for myself in the past but lost interest. My SO is an automechanic actually. I don't see why they would not, it would be illegal if you are fully qualified. But I would make sure I knew as much as possible before, just to prove to any skeptical men that I am just as talented if not more so.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Absolutely! It would be great marketing!!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Personally I would LOVE to find a shop that had women mechanics or was geared towards women customers. I always feel so inimidated when I have to take the car to the shop and the men talk to me like I'm stupid and I'm not sure if I can trust what they are saying and feel like I am being taken advantage of. Look into opening your own shop.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It might be a male dominated field, but that doesn't mean you couldn't get hired. It's illegal to discrimate based on sex.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2010