my 16 month old is so picky i waste so much time and food cooking. what can i do?

he wont eat fruit..veggies...he will eat pasta..but it has to b with spaghetti sauce. no mac n cheese...no nothing. im worried he wont get his proper nutrients and things to help him grow heatlthy. i give him pediasure, and fruitables. please anyone have any tips and advice..or answers?????

TL (Tswizz)

TSwizz

Asked by TSwizz at 12:07 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I feel your pain on this one. My 4th child is 17 mos and he is my only kid that is so picky.
    Have you tried dried fruit? That will help get his nutrients. Also - add a dip to everything. It's messy, but they like it.
    But honestly, don't stress too much. If he's gaining weight normally, and seems overall healthy - then it's ok.
    I keep trying to sneak a little piece of fruit or veggie every so often.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 12:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• idk, but my advice would be to keep introducing those foods he doesn't like and when he gets a little older make him at least try them, and take like 3 bites, and if he still doesn't like it fine, but don't be a short order cook. I know right now is tougher because you want to make sure they're getting the proper nutrients they need, but you might try toughing it out, my 17month old eats what we make or he doesn't eat, he's usually a very good eater though, but he sometimes just doesn't feel like it and I don't make other things in an attempt to get him to eat, I know he'll eat if he's hungry, and he'll eat what we all eat. jmo. Good luck it's not fun having a picky eater. Does your child also throw 60% of their food on the floor when they're done? Mine does, I'm thinking of bringing my dog in after mealtimes so I don't have to sweep so darn much. :) lol
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 12:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It's normal for tots his age to be picky. Continue to offer him a variety of food in small quantities.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:28 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• ugh i feel your pain my two year old is a terribly picky kid. I have a friend whos kid is worse though so she helps me when she can. i make sure my kiddo gets all the food groups. even if its so repetitive it kills me.

i agree with the other mothers who say that if the kid is growing properly and adding weight on like normal Dooonntt worry =)

otherwise there are tons of websites with food for picky eaters.
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 12:38 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• if my dd ever gets picky i will offer her one more different thing and if she doesnt want to eat it i dont do anything. I know she'll eat when she is hungry. Shes a great eater so i rarely do that, but i think its me doing this in the past that causes her to not be picky when it comes to food.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• With my son he doesn't get a choice (he's almost 2) He is served what we are eating and that is it... no special meals. If he doesn't eat, oh well... he'll eat the next meal. If he doesn't eat he also doesn't get a snack (we don't want him to learn that if he holds out long enough he'll get to eat something better later)
    He will eat just about everything we offer him... some days he doesn't want it other he does... it depends.
    With foods he LOVES we try to offer it last.... like the other day we had grilled chicken, green beans and mac and cheese... he LOVES anything that is a noodle and doesn't care much for meat... so we gave the chicken to him first. He ate some of the chicken and beans and THEN we gave him the mac and cheese.
    With other things... if you son love pasta sauce... put it on all kinds of foods! Rice, meats, veges.... and sneak in other veges to the sauce (puree spinach)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Don't try so hard. make fruit and veggies for yourself, eat WITH him and offer samples from your plate. If he eats it, fine. If he doesn't don't make a big deal about it. He will eat more than you think he is. I'm sure he eats more than you think he does. Try different fruits. Apples, grapes, bananas, kiwi. Try dippables like hummus and guacamole. Try burritos, parsnips, asparagus, roasted bes, frozen peas, etc. Toddlers are more secure if they can see their mother eating foods because then they know it is safe.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:50 AM on Jul. 14, 2010