any suggestions on a good sturdy computer for college use under $1000

My daughter is off to college and we are shopping for a laptop computer. It needs to be fairly good, sturdy to last 4+ years, approx. 14" screen, light enough to carry in a backpack . enough memory and speed. Any suggestions?

pinkrobebabe

Asked by pinkrobebabe at 12:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in

• My mother in law bought my son a laptop from a college that was replacing them ($300). I'm actually using it right now because I have a virus on mine-that reminds me I NEED to get that in. Anyways, check out local schools. We've had this computer for a few years now and it's been great!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:34 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I got a really good laptop from walmart for under 1000. it is a toshiba. it is great for college classes.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 12:42 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I got a top of the line laptop for $600 from www.newegg.com. It's got plenty of memory and speed, widescreen, built in webcam and bluetooth, many other different options, and it is STURDY yet lightweight. My son, a computer tech nut, recommended an MSI computer because it's pretty hardy. His second choice for me would have been an ASUS, also available at Newegg. My MSI came with a 3 year warranty at no extra cost. We ordered it and had it within a week.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Mine was only $350, from Best Buy and I think it's great. It's acer.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

Next question in
Did you got to college

Next question overall (Relationships)
What advice would you give?