If I got arrested when I was 19 for a fight with my SO at the time but wasn't charged, didn't go to court for it but did spend a night in jail, will this

Come up on a background check? I am applying for a job and I'm 23 but I'm worried that it will show up and I won't get it. It's not as bad as it sounds but the point is it looks bad and I'm so worked that this will stop me from getting a job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't think it'll show up, and if it did, I doubt it would have any effect on getting a job. When I was 18 I got taken to jail because I blew a .03 on a breathalyzer. I wasn't charged and they just called my parents to pick me up. But I did sit in a holding cell for a good hour. Never heard anything about it being on my record, nor have I had any problems from it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• If there were no charges brought up, I don't think it's on your record. You weren't actually convicted of anything so you have nothing to worry about.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Go to the police dept and get a copy of your record and see if anything comes up. Most are free but can cost a small fee. It's best to know what they have on file

Answer by admckenzie at 12:36 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It's odd they they kept you. They can't detain a person without charging them so this will be interesting to see. Just go get a copy of your record.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• doubt it! Just say no to that question on the application, they will tell you if anything comes up. It costs money for them to do those background checks, most employers (especially privately owned businesses don't bother just for that reason.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It may show up but it will equally show that no charges were filed so you should be good. It is so small that if that is the reason they give you for not giving you the job trust me they were looking for a reason to not give you the job.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 12:40 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I agree. go check it out.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:44 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The job has already put me thru two of the three interviews so they are running a background check before they give me my last interview and if I get thru to the last interview I have the job. So I doubt hey don't want me to work there. Since I was arrested I'm scared that might show up even though It was in a whole other state. If I didn't go to court or anything and was released the next morning does that mean I even was charged? would I have to put that on my application in the first place?
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 12:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• If you were arrested and booked it will be on your record. But will show something like charges dropped
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It is better to put what happened on the application and have it not show up than not put it and have it show up. You might show an arrest for a domestic disturbance but without charges being filed I doubt that it would show in a regular background check.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2010