Replacing Expensive Item Your Child Broke On Purpose?

My brother celebrated the big 4-0 last month and as a gift I gave him a Iphone. After having it for two weeks he went and bought his 15 y/o dd one as well. Last week they had some disagreement over her going on a trip with her friends and she threw a tantrum and slammed her phone into the wall and floor about 5 times ON PURPOSE and broke it. The next day she picked up the broken pieces and started crying saying she was sorry and it was an accident. I thought for sure my brother would have told her too bad and not gotten anothewr phone. But no, today he took her and got her the new Iphone 4!
He said he did it ebcause he still is under contract and might have well just replace her phone and get it over with.
Am I crazy for thining he's lost his marbles?! I mean really, if you child broke an expensive item of theirs on purpose would you feel complelled to replace it??

WishyClarkson

Asked by WishyClarkson at 12:28 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not crazy at all. Hell, if my kid breaks anything, regardless of the price, on purpose, it's gone. There's no replacing anything broken in a temper tantrum!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would definitely not replace it. She needs to learn the value of items given to her, and then she should have to buy her own to see how it feels.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 12:32 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The phone would be replaced after she earned the money to replace it.

I don't tolerate this kind of behavior and my kids wouldn't dream of coming to me and expecting me to feel sorry for them after they broke something on purpose.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:32 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• WOW no your not crazy he is and why in the world does a 15 y/o have a expensive phone like that anyhow?
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Accident?..... my ass!!! the way you described the incident was definitely purposeful, not accidental! No, I would not either.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The thing is, those phones cost much more than whatever it would have cost to have ended the contract. If my kid did something like this it would be gone, end of story.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• If my child ever breaks something like than on purpose, it will be gone until THEY can buy themselves a new one!
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 2:32 AM on Jul. 14, 2010