What is the ONE THING

a candidate must stand for in order to warrant your vote?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:40 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Fiscal conservancy....everything else is negotiable. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:32 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The issues that are important in MY district. Or, to the state, or on a national level.

When a candidate starts getting on a soapbox about abortion, or gay marriage, or the birther bit, or any of the social issues that are the hot buttons, regardless of their stance, I will not vote for them. While those issues are important to many, you know what? Right now, they are not the focus of what I feel my various governing bodies should be addressing. I see them as barnstorming issues - used to beat the opposing candidate with, to rile up the base - and I feel that my candidates time is better spent elsewhere. So if a candidate starts going off about one of the social issues that gets everyone all stirred up - strike - off my list. I am not sending you to legislate for that shit. Take care of the business of running the county, district, state, or nation. The social issues - Nope. Not as important, IMPO.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 1:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• If they're for lower taxes. That are actually fair then that would have me looking into them a lot more as someone I would consider voting for.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:50 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I don't know that there is ONE thing for me...Has to be total package vs total package. There are some things I agree with one on, some the other and some NEITHER ! Have to go with the one that most fits...also looking at their past and see if it matches what they are saying NOW

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The Constitution and all it's elements without having an agenda to change/destroy it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Taxes. I want lower taxes.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:04 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Well right now? It would be a spending freeze. If I got some candidate yapping about how it takes money to make money crap I want nothing to do with it.

Now, if we are talking about normally without an out of control deficit? Then Supporting the military. I can NOT support a candidate that is not for our military members and vets getting the best! They don't need pay cuts, they don't need VA hospital funding cuts, they need support. If they are not willing to LISTEN to those in charge of the military/war efforts and TAKE their advice on the wars then I won't back them.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Must be pro-life.

I truly worry about my pocketbook if I use it to vote.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Does he or she have the moral values and fortitude I want in a leader?

That's one thing, but it covers a lot of the things that have already been mentioned.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• not any one thing.
    toastmama

Answer by toastmama at 2:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2010