How much to spend on a 4 yr olds party.

I have a 3 year old, and about 2 weeks before her birthday Im due to have my second child. And I know I want to have a decent party for her so she doesnt feel excluded or any less special. I just dont know how much to set aside. Help Please!!!

2nme

Asked by 2nme at 12:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my dds first birthday i think we spent like... 300 ??
    we have a huge family, bought food decor gift bags cake all that good stuff
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Our baby girl is due on Halloween and my son's 6th birthday is November 29th. I think we are going to do something special as a family this year instead of having a party. He has always had a party before, but I really don't want a house full of school aged children with a brand new baby during flu season.

As far as budgeting, I usually spend between $150-$200 on my son's parties, but I'm sure it could be done for much less. We tend to go all out and have pretty big parties. Best wishes!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It all boils down to how much you are willing to spend. they are never gonna remember what kind of birthday they had at 4, or what presents they got. What will matter most is the people who are there and the love they give! i think we had less than $100 invested in total on dd's birthday. She had a great time! best of luck to you, and congrats!
    katamike

Answer by katamike at 2:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Good gracious! Memories don't have to be expensive! :) It's about the family & friends who love your DD. Our son is 3 y/o and we always have a wonderful party at home. My sister usually makes the cakes, although I think that I bought one once at Walmart for $20 or so, and paid $6 for his own "little" cake which was decorated like a shaggy dog. It was too cute! If we go "all out", we cook hamburgers/hot dogs and have a little "dinner/lunch" in his honor. His cousins & friends come and he has a BLAST! This year is the first year that he understood that it WAS his birthday.

Your precious daughter needs to know that she's special. You don't have to invest $100's of dollars to convince her of that. Also, if you bring out the ponies now, what's it going to be next year & the next? She's still little. If you want, go to the park and bring pizza & koolaid and let everyone play. (con't below)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It's awesome that your baby is coming BEFORE her bday. That way, the hoopla about the baby will be settling down, & THEN she'll have an awesome party that's ALL about HER! :)

4 y/o's have the attention span of a gnat, so that even if you had the Wiggles come to her party, when it's over, it's over. She'll be looking for something else to do when they leave. Seriously, she'll be the center of attention no matter what you do. Take lots of pics & just tell her how much you love her. Not about $$.

Lastly, DS has so many toys, books, clothes, etc. & he really lacks for so little that it's hard to justify spending a large amount on gifts. People don't come empty-handed & he gets TONS of stuff for birthdays & Christmas. (I even try to thin out a little before each event so he's not over-whelmed!) So that I "try" NOT to buy him gifts, but end up getting some educational stuff that I give him over the next weeks to space it out.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010