Does anyone else think that this was totally rude, not needed and illegal!! I am the mom of a sixteen year old child that is in labor, she is resting and I went down stairs for a minute to get a drink, and when I returned to ring the buzzer to get in, the nurse rudely said..you cant be buzzed in she is sleeping! what? Who else thinks that should never have been said? Oh let me add she said you can go home now!

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 2:07 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• It sounds rude the way you are telling it and if she indeed treated you that way I would probably complain to the hospital. It is illegal for her to deny you entry to be with your child...UNLESS your child requested that you not be allowed back in. If this is not something your daughter would have done, they cannot keep you out. At least HERE anyway. I hope you were able to go back in and I hope labor and delivery goes well for your daughter.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 2:10 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Anon is correct, just because she is a minor, she is having her own child now so there is some type of in between/loop law about how minors with children are considered emancipated for certain situations, like medical legal documents, exiting the hospital with another minor, which would be their own child, financial responsibility etc.

You can always call her room and ask that she give exclusive permission for you to come in.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Does the father to be have a cell phone? Can you call him and ask that he request you be allowed in?
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 2:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• They might have a policy where you are not allowed visitors passed sleep hours, so if you leave your locked out. And being that she's 16 and having a child she can now make her own medical decisions and act as an adult legally, so Legally you wouldn't need to stay with her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• WHAT!! i would be jumping up and down on the supervisors desk right now! she is your MINOR daughter!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:10 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• First I find it telling that you typed "16 year old child". But yes it's rude, especially since the laboring mom is in fact a child and underage.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:11 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would be throwing a fit if it were my dd (if she lived past telling me she was pregnant). But your dd is now considered an emancipated minor and is essentially an adult as far as the hospital is concerned. If you are the labor coach they absolutely have to let you in, otherwise I don't know.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• yes they have policies, of course they do..but I am the mom to the father that is also in there (sorry said that wrong in my post) and the other grandmother is here that is the mom to the girl. But visting hours are over for others, not two sixteen year olds that are minors, that want us there. She didnt even have the respect to come out and tell us to our faces, she said it over the buzzer. I am so mad right now, and we did say something and we got a attitude and said she is sleeping, why do you need to be in there? ummm because if they wake up they are going to want to know where we are you damn idiot. And to the above poster that said they need to make adult choices, did I ask you that? Yes I agree, but they are not grown, the are going through this with our support and love! I didnt ask if you thought they were adults or not, read the post again!
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 2:15 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• This is just crazy, I am out here like wth...should I do!
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 2:18 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I just did..now I left this comment about two hours ago, and they have been calling us on their phones saying where are you, when can you come in. This is nuts, I feel like I am in jail, and they are on the other side of the wall. I dont want to cause a scene here while she is in labor, but oh man...are they going to hear it later. This is not ok in my eyes.
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 4:56 AM on Jul. 14, 2010