Homeschooling

I am looking for information on homeschooling. Do you homeschool? If so, what curriculum do you use? What kinds of resources do you use online and off? I would appreciate any information. My children are 7 and 10. They are proposing some sex ed curriculum in our district that I am strongly against. We are looking into homeschooling as a possible solution. Thank you.

ShaunnaMichelle

Asked by ShaunnaMichelle at 2:42 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Are you in Montana? Anyway the first step would be to learn YOUR state's laws and be sure you can comply with them. You can visit: HSLDA: State Laws. Our primary vendors are religious based, however we do pull resources from the local library and other various homeschooling resources to help educate as well. Before looking at curriculum I would first understand your state laws, then set a price point of what you want to spend. It's easier to find something in your price point, then trying to make something fit in budget. Also google is your friend. Google homeschooling curriculum, google for reviews, etc.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• A Beka, Bob Jones, Saxon Math, ACE, LifePac, AlphaOmega, Switched on Schoolhouse - ALL good choices
    PLUS, get into a homeschool co-op for PE, ARTS, Science Labs and Field Trips.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 3:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I home-school my DD. . .she is 7 and going into 2nd grade. . . I design my own curriculum. We do not opt for PE or the extras in a public school or group. . . we do all that ourselves. This way we can pick and chose what works for us. Like for PE we do Yoga, I have a general art degree so I teach the art and all the rest at home. Go to your local teacher's/or school store and they will have all sorts of workbooks and additives for you to chose from. . . Hope that makes sense. . . *GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 5:47 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My children are not school age yet, but I was home schooled. We used ACE, Accelerated Christian Education. We didn't use any online resources, other than using it for research and such. We were involved in a home school group where we were able to do group projects. I would say make sure your kids are still involved in some sort of activity where they can interact with other kids, such as girl/boy scouts, 4H, and such.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 2:53 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I really wanted to homeschool my kids but I will give public schools a chance. My mil homeschooled her son and it was not a success he was held back a year so he's the oldest in most his classes and has really affected his self-esteem. Which is why I decided to give public schools a try.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:32 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I home-school my two boys, and we don't use a curriculum at all. We are unschoolers, also known as child-led learners. Basically my boys decide what, when, where and how they learn. Our family loves this style of learning, and my boys are thriving. We use all kinds of different resources, depending on the topic. We are also involved in a wonderful home-school group, so we can get together with other home-schoolers so my boys have an opportunity to make friends, and go on field trips.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I homeschool my girls. We use a mix of lots of styles and don't buy canned curriculum at all. We get what we think are the best books for each subject. We also do a lot of lapbooking, notebooking and unit studies. There are lots of free resources online.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2010