To moms who had a CS instead of a normal birth...

how was your experience? recovery time? scars? getting back in shape? complications with surgery?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 3:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I had to have an emergency c-section with my twins and it was horrible. I think partly because I wasn't in labor so I didn't have any of the labor pains so I concentrated alot more on the procedure. Recovery was horrible. I was in sooo much pain! I couldn't sleep on my tummy for months after, the incision is still numb and my scar is pretty big but very low so you can't really see it. I use to be able to play wrestle with my husband and run around but after the c-section I've had a hard time doing so. It still hurts. I''m pregnant again and need to have a c-section and I am sooo not looking forward to it. I really just wish that I could push this baby out instead. My scars on the inside are really bad so if I even attempted to push this baby out I could possibly bleed to death and its a risk my doctor does not want to take.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It wasn't planned and sucked big time... It was definitely traumatic, they put the epi too high or something and so I couldn't feel myself breathing, which of course I didn't know so I was 100% sure I was dying but I couldn't talk to tell anyone! I couldn't even hold DD for like 56 hour after because I couldn't use my arms!

Recovery was OK I guess, I went off the pain meds early, was out of the house less than a week after I had my c-section, playing hockey 6 weeks later... my scar healed well, can barely even see it, My abs/stomach are fine (they were strong and flat but I'm pregnant again at the moment). It did take 18 months before I could do ab work outs without some pain/discomfort though.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:16 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• So i had to have an emergancy c-section. I was super scared but it really wasnt too bad it was more the unknow that scared me. I felt alot of pressure which is normal but i had no clue so it scared me. I was in alot of pain for the first couple days, moving, walking etc. was super scary to me but it was ok. You will feel pain for about 5-7 days and it will get less as the days go by. My scar is about 6 in long but youcant see it even with a bath suit because its so low and now after two years i still have a scar but its not bad. I didnt have any complications
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 3:20 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My stomach 13 months after gaining 60lbs during my pregnancy and having a c-section (so you know there's hope!):

Photobucket
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:27 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i had an emergency c-section. I was in labor for over 20 hours. Ugh. Once they said they wanted to do a c-section, I was kind of upset, but I was so exhausted I just agreed. Good thing because the cord was around my daughters neck twice which is why her blood pressure was dropping so much. Anyway. It wasn't a bad experience. I just didn't know what to expect.

No one tells you that you have to fart after your c/s before you can eat LOL. that sucked. uhm getting in and out of bed was tough at the hospital. but i learned a trick... drop the bed all the way down use someones arm to help you get up and get back down. use the railings to pull yourself you. ask dr for a binding wrap. healing was fine. they said i was doing it quickly.. i was walking less than 24 hours after mine. i was out and about a week after i had her. it was tender for a while but thats expected with a scar. my scar is little now about half way faded....CONT
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:27 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I had a planned c-section due to medical complications, and knew months in advance so I had time to research. The surgery itself wasn't that bad - the worst part was waiting, because every woman in labor got to go ahead of me, so I sat around for hours, waiting for a chance to deliver my son! I had no complications, no problems, went perfectly. Recovery was hard - was still in pain 2 weeks later and had discomfort for longer than that. My scar is not noticable, but I don't look at it and really couldn't care less about it. I lost all my pregnancy weight PLUS an additional 30 pounds soon after having my son, so I have no complaints about that. But I have never had a vaginal birth so I have nothing to compare my experience to!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 3:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i could do ab workouts about... hmm... id say.. 10 months after it.

no complications. when they take the staples out of you (if u get stapled) it doesnt even really hurt at all. but sreiously if you get a c section, ask for a binding band thing. they help SO much!!

oh one thing, i got VERY nauseas right when they took her out. got very dizzy and light headed and felt like i had to throw up, ubt i didnt. they said it was normal. and once they gave me the meds for the c section i started shaking bad.. a mix of drugs and nerves.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Oh yeah, that's a good tip MomNbabyGirl... get a binding wrap, I used one for a couple months after!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• love those binding mummy looking wraps. This definitely refreshed my memory and would never consider on having another baby ever again!!!!!! Just way too many complications that I've heard here so far. It's so scary.
    LavenderRose10

Comment by LavenderRose10 (original poster) at 3:38 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I know... I'm stressing about having this one... I don't want another c-section but a VBAC scares me too!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:41 AM on Jul. 14, 2010