When is it time to tell him about God?

I want to teach my son how to pray when he is older, how can I bring God to him at an early age? I'm religious but I don't go to Church but I do pray and I believe in him all the way. How can I get him to understand who he is if I dont go to church? He is 15 months right now, still young but I'm curious. They should have things like..My First Bible? for little ones, right?

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 4:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are great children's bibles out there that you can read to him... but also he will see you when you're praying and you can say things like "mommie's going to talk to God"...when you're out with him walking or driving etc... you can teach him about God by showing him all the things God made...etc.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• they do have my first bibles and short little stories broken down for a child to understand.

go to a christian book store. i love going to the one here, its so nice and beautiful they ahve really nice decor as well for your home.

anyway, start praying with him often not just at night. you can find times and ways to bring up God during the day to him. He'll ask questions. Sunday school is good, i dont go to church either :/ i feel horrible, but i want to and i want to put my dd in sunday school.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:50 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Yup, there are Children's Bibles, sunday school, bible camps... I started the whole thing at 5... well, unless you count the baptism (I was raised Catholic) Just, becareful with the Sunday School... I had a fear of fire for almost 10 years after one incident.. I couldn't even go to the big camp bonfires with my grandparents.. sit in and listen to a few sessions.. make sure they stay little one friendly... (not christian anymore... but, ya.. that was when I started and my mum was as well...she went to a private all girl's school)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• WHEN U WAKEN UP AND THE MORNING PRAISE GOD THROUGH DAY AND NIGHT ON UR JOB EVERYWHERE HE'S OUR FATHER HE'S AMAZING. I GET PRAY THEN LISTEN TO GOSPEL MUSIC IN THE MORNING O GIRL IT MAKES UR DAY GO SO WELL.
    BEAUTIFULWOM518

Answer by BEAUTIFULWOM518 at 5:20 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think books are a great way to start, check out what they have at the library.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:17 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• OK, so DH is the Christian in the house, our girls are 3yr and 14mo, he has been trying to find a church in our area that he likes and so far no dice. What he does is every night before they go to bed he says prayers with they girls, they start with the "now I lay me" and after that they say any special requests/thanks they have for the day.
    I say if you are not into the Churches that around you, make sure that you show your faith now. When holidays come up make sure not to let them be just commercialized but incorporate your beliefs and why you are celebrating. They are never to long to be introduced to your path. If you start now than it will be a constant in their life vs some new fad down the line.
    Raine2007

Answer by Raine2007 at 7:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Talk to him about God. Make every moment, every day a teachable one about God and how He works, how He loves us. Pray with him daily. There are devotions for children that you can do each day with him. There are even online sources for those. Make your walk with the Lord apparent to him in your every day life. Share things that you have learned and things that God has done for you. And yes, there are My First Bibles...many of them for each different age group. Even if you don't go to church you could look into Vacation Bible School. Most churches hold one each summer. It would be a good opportunity to be with others his age in a fun, learning environment. God Bless!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:39 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Start simple prayers now, when you eat, ask God to bless this food, Amen. Short and sweet. I started that about that time, and she is almost 7. My youngest DD is 3 1/2yr and leads the dinner prayer quite clear. Bedtime's a little bit of a struggle. Tell him about what God made, something he understands....stars, moon, sun, etc. So innocent and so sweet!
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 11:30 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• When is it time to tell him about god? When he asks. And not before.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Yes, you can get a good children's Bible. They have some that are for very tiny kids, and some for kids that are a little older. We started talking about God to our kids as soon as they were born, and they've always gone to church with us. If they see you praying and you pray together as a family, even if it is only at meals, that is another way to expose them. All of us try to transmit our beliefs and values to our children - religious people and non-religious people alike. We really only have a few short years to do this, then society's influence may drown out our voices.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 6:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2010