At what age do you think your child is able to watch his or her siblings? What age did you start to do this, and have you already let your teen or pre teen watch their younger siblings?

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 5:19 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was left alone in the house during the day for 5 hours plus at age 10 watching my 2 year old little brother and 8 year old sister. But I think you're supposed to wait until age 12 to do that. At age 10 you're allowed to leave them in the house alone for a few hours, but not watching siblings.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 5:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I love your question. I have 4 kids the first 3 are fairly close together. But when it came time to ask them to look after my youngest I did not do this until they were at least 13 however, Mikayla (14) did not get on at all with Katie so she was crossed off. But then I had no choice but to let her babysit Katie and she bloomed. She was the nicest sister to her and spoilt her rotten. So I suppose in my situation it was a matter of how mature and responsible they were for their age and the relationship between them.

How is your daughters labour going? I do hope everything goes well. Thinking of you
    Anne-Marie457

Answer by Anne-Marie457 at 5:27 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I believe in some states you have to be a certain age. . . I was 12 before I was left home alone or able to watch a sibling or even baby sit. . . And with my DD it will be the same unless the state stipulates otherwise. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 5:31 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Our last 2 at home are just 17 mos apart so it just isn't the case of one watching the other but teamwork when an adult can''t be home with them. They are 11 and 12 right now. We have been leaving them home for about a year and a half during daylite but only for an hour or less to finally increase it to maybe 2 hours and it can be getting dark - With that said - I do have to have snacks prepared or else it can get gritty LOL.
    As well it is becoming more and more that our 12 almost 13 yo does not want to go places in our small town with his very UNCOOL parents. And according to him the sky is not blue but red just because I said it is blue. AAHHH the joy of tweenagehood - yeah right
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 5:36 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• @Ann-Marie457....thank you so much, that was nice of you.
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 6:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• At this point never. My kids are 6 and 10. They fight and fuss or they get into trouble. Thats what they do when dh and I are here! I don't forsee a time when my trust level will rise THAT much!Who knows,they say that maturity can occur but I doubt it.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 6:10 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i wasnt allowed babysit until i was 12/13 for my neighbour. it depends on how mature the child is. siblings tend to play up on each other so it can be a tough one. where i live - now u must be 14/15 to be allowed babysit. u could start of by leaving for an hour to see how they would get on and take it from there but explain to them all about it that if u are not there X is in charge but as i said it depends on age and maturity. hope this helps
    shell394

Answer by shell394 at 7:47 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I started babysitting my siblings at 9. My son will take a red cross babysitting course at 11 and then we will decide if he can babysit.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Maybe age 12 or 13. I started babysitting my younger cousins when I was about 14 or 15. I got left alone in my house when I was about 10 or 11, but I don't have any siblings.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 14, 2010