Would you ever want your teen to be a teen parent?

I was publicly chastised in another question for being negative about teen pregnancy, I think that it is very sad when a teen gives up, or never had, plans for adventure (college, travel, etc.). Is it really possible that a parent would want her teen to be a parent while still a teen?

Asked by rkoloms at 5:55 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I personally wouldn't want my DD as a teen to become a parent. . . I guess if it would happen it would happen but I think there is so much more to life and she should experience it before having kids. . . if that makes sense. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 6:00 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Hmm, who said having a baby made the teen "give up" having college or adventure. That's a very naive way to look at it. Plenty of people don't go to college or seek out adventure when they DON'T have kids... my sister didn't go to college.. and she never left the state even .. and she didn't have kids til her mid twenties.

As for teens who have kids and make it to college, my brothers sister had her first at 16, and went on to have two more later on, and went to college and became a teacher.

It's not about whether or not they had a kid, it's about whether or not they Want to go to college or seek adventure.

As for my DD, if she gets pregnant in high school, I'll be here to help her through it, and hopefully she'll still be able to do all she wants in life, even after having a baby.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 6:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• wow i dont think what u wrote in that post was mean and the OP even was agreeing with you wasnt she?

that woman seems to be off her rocker that she gets so uptight. her dd is in labor and shes on cafemom b*tching to someone she doesnt even know about teen pregnancy.

let it slide off your shoulders.
    you always give great advice.

as for teen pregnancy. of course no one would want that, id hope so!, id still have my daughter weigh out the options she has but id support whatever she would choose. no matter how hard it may be to do that.

and momtoelliett yes not all teen moms turn out giving stuff eveyrthing up. but i think every mom no matter what age gives SOMETHING up. and it just so happens that the younger the person, the more they are giving up because of their age. thats just how it is. not always but most of the time.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• for momtoelliot, when your sister chooses that then its her choice, but when she gets pregnant , any dreams she may have at those moments are gone. its not a choice, it just happened. i say kudos for those using protection, but i feel very sorry for guys who are lied to about protection by women girls who want to tie them up some how. thats happening alot lately. and even if its something teenagers choose, its a very bad choice and an underestimation of what being a parent is or is gonna be like. Babies are work from beginning and the work never ends. ur a parent for life. i would never want my child to go through that. It's something that can be done, but its just so much easier when ur married and ur stable in life. Even if some marriages end, it'll still have been a better start. No guarantees in life.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 6:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Yes it was me that said something because you are always and I do mean literally always saying something to me about my son and his girlfriend and others as well. Let me start off by saying that no parent WANTS THEIR CHILD TO HAVE A CHILD! Listen, your so negative constantly, and you should not be telling anyone what to do with the their pregnant daughter! So yes I said something to you because I have had just about enough of you and saying that adoption is the answer, etc. Listen you dont know my situation or any one else for that matter that may be going through the same thing. Who are you to judge? Really, who are you. It was not a planned pregnancy and things happen. Even if its not the best thing that could have happened it did. Listen mind your own when it comes to me for now on, and think before you speak...because clearly you dont know how to do that.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 6:17 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Also I have a lot of supporters on here, and anyone else that wants to read my journals on this journey I have had to go through with my son and his girlfriend, your more than welcome to go take a look if your wondering why I am saying this to the poster. From day one she has been telling me that my kid has no future, they shouldnt be having a baby at all, they should give the baby up for adoption when the child is perfectly fine with us, etc. She says things like how will they support a baby, etc. I feel it has nothing to do with her and granted yes she may have her thoughts about this topic, but she doesnt care about what she is saying obviously. I had my son when I was sixteen, and I am now a LPN, like I stated before. I am in college part time for my RN, and I have four wonderful children. I did it all on my own, so yes it can be done. So mind your own, you have issues clearly. Please educate yourself before you speak.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 6:21 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• and to the other poster, I am actually in the waiting room. So yes my dear, I am on here to past the time and came across this message. So now I am bitching? wow, some of you woman never seem to amaze me. I am out here in a waiting room because we can not go in to her room right now, so yes your right I am on here to past the time. wth?
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 6:26 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• agree/disagree with teenage pregnancy-the way i see your damned if u agree and your damned if u dont . yes each parent would hope that their child/ren go on to college and experience what life has to offer and get themselves set up for their future but that is not always the way it turns out. you can only plan so much. i have a 1 child at the minute but when the time comes(he is only 3) either my DH or i will sit him down and explain to him about sex and consequences. but condoms break,pills dont work etc. at the end of the day you can talk to them about it till u are blue in the face but they make their own choices and u either support them or dont.
    shell394

Answer by shell394 at 6:26 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• thank you SHELL394....I couldnt have said it better myself.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 6:36 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think I will stay out of this one ...LOL to tired tonight but i did give some vote ups...great answers :)
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 6:40 AM on Jul. 14, 2010