Do you let your adult children sleep with their so in your house?

When your son or daughter brings home their gf or bf for the weekend, do you let them sleep together in your home?

smokeybear

Asked by smokeybear at 6:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• My MIL has flipped positions because when my DH and I were dating we had to stay at a hotel, but once we were married we were allowed to stay together. Now, my 17 year old SIL is allowed to have her bf sleep over, but they have to be in the living room on different couches and normally her 13 year old's are in the room too.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 6:36 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My mother would have never heard of such a thing, As a mother I wouldn't either as I didn't want to encourage them. As a grandmother, well I did let my grandson bring his girlfriend to our house for the weekend but, I made them sleep in separate rooms too. They didn't seem to mind. I guess they kind of expected grandma to do it the old fashioned way. LOL
    GrandmaBfly1

Answer by GrandmaBfly1 at 7:44 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• When I was 18, my mother would not let me bring home my college bf and stay in the same bedroom. When i was 22 and we were living together, then she did.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My mom does. I respect my mom enough not to do anything under her roof.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:50 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i dont have adult kids but my mom would have rather died first than to let me have a guy sleep over. she barely let girls sleep over, she was just strange about that sort of thing bc our house wasnt very big and all the rooms were right next to eack other. but she always that it was inappropriate, up until i was about 22, then she let my boyfriend sleep over, but only on nights that she wasnt home so she wouldnt have to hear us up watching tv and what not late at night. and i dont think i will let me daughter do that either, its about respect.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 7:55 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My mom did once I was older than 18, if it was a serious relationship (example, had to have been dating them over 6 months).
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 7:27 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Yes, we did. There was no pretending that we didn't know what they were doing at college. We grew up in the Woodstock era and maybe that says it all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Fortunately, I didn't have any of those problems because they didn't sleep with their boyfriends or girlfriends until they were in college and had their own apartments. They were good kids and didn't believe in "sleeping around". They all got married after college.
    I don't know what I would have done if one of them wanted to sleep wth someone at my house when they were younger than college age. I probably would have suggested that they NOT sleep with them at all.
    When I was young, I also didn't even think about sleeping with a boyfriend and wouldn't have wanted to at my parents' home.YIKES!I waited until I was 23 and engaged to my future DH.
    There is no good reason to allow your kids to sleep around and certainly not at your home.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It would not have been allowed at our house, but we were never asked. Our children would have thought it totally inappropriate for them and for us.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yes I do. My daughter is 33 and has 2 children with her SO.
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2010