If your child goes to daycare, what would you do? (details below)

If there naptime is 2 hours long and your child only took a 1 hour nap, what would you do if you found out that they were forcing your child to stay on the cot/mat for the remaining hour? The teacher is allowed to give your child a book to look at but that is all they can do for the remaining hour. This is for ages 1 1/2- 2 1/2. How would you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• What can you do? I worked in a daycare it really stinks when one kid wakes up and thinks everyone else should be up. You know how whiny your kid can be when they don't get or don't finish their nap. Imagine a class full of them.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:42 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• my boys go to day care and that is how long their nap time is and i have never found a problem with it but i see where u r coming from i am not really sure what to tell u but good luck
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 8:43 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• But what if the majority of the class was already awake and the teacher had to force everyone to lay on their cots until naptime was over?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:45 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I'd feel those were they daycare policies. If you don't like them, place your child in a daycare you do like, or keep him home.

You can't expect an entire daycare to revolve around your child.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 8:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• that is why i raise my child and no one else ever will ..other than school of course..sorry im no help here
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 8:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• That is pretty much how my childrens daycare is. They give the kids a book or something to do until the remaining time is up and it doesn't bother my kids or myself. I mean after all, I need some quiet time myself during the day and will have the kids go play in their rooms or go lay down and try to nap so really they aren't doing any differant than me. As long as my kids are being verbally abused or something I see no problem with it.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• If the majority of the class is awake but someone is still asleep then it is just respectful of the other children to stay quiet. They are learning discipline and respect for one another. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:47 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My daycare doesn't dictate nap length based upon age. Since it's an in-home daycare, she cares for all ages. If a child is up in 1 hour while others are still napping, she allows them to get up and go into the other room with the older children so that they don't wake the sleeping ones.

If you don't agree with it, look for a daycare that works with your beliefs/feelings.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Bottom line is that kids that age should finish their nap out. It is not as if they can hire another teacher to take the kids out of the room when they start waking. If it were your child being awakened early coming home acting whiny you wouldn't like it. As best I can remember nap time had to be 2hours for that age in our state.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:50 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Here is the thing, I am the teacher. Yesterday, half of my class woke up early so I took all the kids who were awake to an area of the room that was away from the sleeping kids. We sat on a rug and played quiet activities (books, puppets, puzzles, etc) By state law, I am required to offer these things if a child has either layed on his cot for 1 hour or has waken up from at least an hour nap. By boss, came in while I was playing quietly with the kids and she starting yelling for them to go back to their cots and that they had to stay there for the remaining hour. I later discussed with my boss on why I did what I did. She made it very clear that she was not interested in following this state regulation. I wanted to get the opinion of other moms and how they feel if this happened to their child. I am ready to quit this job over this (and other things that my boss chooses to ignore).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2010