Why the need to indoctrinate?

I don't understand the need to force the "teachings" of god onto your kids from the time they are babies. IF they know and love god, won't it happen naturally? Either they have the love of god in their heart or they dont.
But when you indoctrinate from birth, isn't more like brainwashing vs listening to one's heart?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:45 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• THANK YOU! That is EXACTLY how I feel! My children's daycare has recently become "Christian Based" so now my children talk about God all the time and stuff and it kind of aggrivates me because I am not religious. I don't say anything to them, but it does bother me. I feel like it is unfair to teach my children about that (especially since if I wanted tot ake my kids to a Christian Daycare I would have sought one out in the first place) when they haven't even been exposed to any other religion.
    The way I feel is that if you are told every day that you are fat, you will view yourself as fat. If you are only fed one religion or one option... that is the one you will go with because you don't know any different.
    So THANK YOU! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Because little minds are easily molded- the earlier you introduce them to your version of the 'truth' the easier it is for them to absorb it and accept it. After all, what child doesn't believe everything their parents/adults tell them?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:54 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Memgien~that stinks about your daycare. I guess the best you can do aside from changing daycares is to be sure to expose them to others beliefs and ideas at home. Talk as much as you can about the other beliefs while they are with you so they aren't being led completely in ONE direction. That way they have options, and they will know where their heart leads them is the path for them;)
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 8:55 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I am sorrym but God is a central part of our life. Our ?Faith is the foundation upon which our home and Family is built, so how would I not teach my children? I feel this is best. The go to churh and to sunday school. We also have weekly lessons at home. We have prayer etc. I will never change that. They will one day reach an age where they can choose for themselves, and they will be free to. But for now, and aas long as they are living under my roof they will practice our beliefs.
    If other's don't like that, then maybe they shouldnt do it? Everyone is different, and everyone parents differently. Just because it is different, and some may not agree doesnt mean it is wrong.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:58 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• And yes, the typing is awful. My keys keep getting stuck,lol.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Because the young are very impressionable and what is ingrained during childhoodusually sticks thereby ensuring that the cycle repeats itself.   

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• So if a child is intelligent, they will know how to read, write, do complex math equations naturally. They do not need to be taught.

Having something & knowing what it is & what to do with it are 2 different things.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I let my children know that God loves them, that He wants them to be good, and love others as HE does.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 9:02 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• RheaF:    They will one day reach an age where they can choose for themselves, and they will be free to. But for now, and aas long as they are living under my roof they will practice our beliefs.   So when exactly will they be able to choose for themselves?  After they have left home or as teenagers?   How do you honestly think you will react if your teenager tells you that they don't believe in god or that they are Pagan?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:06 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Honestly? IDK. I will be heartbroken, and yes will probley think it is a phase. Heck I went "pagan" in HS because it was "cool".
    **I am in no way bashing those that honestly have those beliefs, just that is why I, and most of the kids in my HS who claimed to be Pagan, did it***

I think when they are able to make an informed decision. If they come to me, and act like an Adult and can tell me why they want to leave the church I will respect that. I dont think there is a Magical age though. I do feel that Families can be together for eternity, and yes I will be heartbroken if one of my children decides to follow another path, but I will not disown them, or ridicule them for it. As humans we all have the right to worship how, where, and whatever we choose. That is free will, and should never be taken away. I just dont feel that my teaching them our religion at a young age is wrong.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 9:11 AM on Jul. 14, 2010