What's some real life information about a helicopter pilot (warrant officer) in the Army?

My husband is currently a firefighter in the USAF Reserves, but has started the process to become an aviation warrant officer (helicopter pilot) in the Army. Can anyone give me 1st- or 2nd-hand knowledge on the shifts they work, typical deployment schedule, typical TDYs, how often they are gone, etc? Unfortunately you can't believe everything the recruiters say... and the information I've found online explains what the job is, whereas my concern is what life will be like for myself and my children if my husband is doing this job.

I actually know a good bit about living on base, etc; I'm really looking for information on how our family life will be impacted specifically by his being a helicopter pilot.

SAHM_USAF

Asked by SAHM_USAF at 8:56 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• My stepdad was an Apache pilot. I was young when he and my mom were together, so I don't know a whole lot. He was a W2, did field duty once a month where he was gone all weekend, he did some overnight shit once a week that was on base, and the rest of the time he seemed to work a pretty normal work schedule. He was home for dinner, there in the mornings when I left for school. We did a year in Germany, a year at Ft. Hood, then he reupped and did an unaccompanied tour in Korea for a year. (As far as I know, everyone does this tour).
    Sorry I can't be more helpful. The best info I can give you is don't bring the helmet home....they don't seem to like that. A guy came all the way to our place in Houston 5 years after he got out trying to get that thing back.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You might want to visit this site incase you might not find you answers here.  Army Discussions    Aviation 

GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2010