Sex Education in Kindergarten?

Helena, Montana- according to the 62-page draft proposal, beginning in kindergarten, school nurses will teach students proper terms such as "nipple, breast, penis, scrotum and uterus." Once they are promoted to first grade, children will learn that sexual relations could happen between two men or two women. By the time students are 10 years old, instruction will include the various ways people can have intercourse, be it vaginally, orally or through "anal penetration," according to the proposal. (Source FoxNews)
*****
I know when my kids were that young, they knew those terms. However I'm horrid that a school would think it's alright to teach that in school to 5 year olds. Even though my kids knew those terms, I wouldn't say it's okay for all 5 year olds. I do believe sex education should be left to the parent. What are your thoughts?

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This is one of many reasons why we reject the public schools. OP, I agree with you that sex education is better left to the parents. I know that there are some parents who do not ever teach their kids anything on this subject, but I am offended by the implication that the schools will take over this responsibility because we "might" not do our part. My 5 year old does not need to know about oral or anal sex, for goodness sake! When will they stop?
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 4:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think 5 is too young for sex ed..I teach a class in good touch bad touch but not sex ed..
    momwright

Answer by momwright at 9:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• That's the issue. Parents don't want this. Parents are the ones who should have the final say about what is taught to their children and when it is taught to them. I agree that children should know that homosexuality exists, but 1st graders DO NOT need to be told this by their school nurse or teachers. If a 1st grader needs to know, it should come from the parent. All sex ed should come from the parent. Health and basic reproduction and biology -- okay, that is stuff the school can cover.

I know -- someone is going to come back and say that parents aren't teaching their children about sex ed so the school has to. I know that some parents don't. But I don't want the school forcing my kid to hear stuff that I don't think he or she needs to hear. ALL sex ed classes (all classes, for that matter), should have an opt-out option for the parent with an alternate curriculum available for the child.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Gross..I agree with you 5 is ridiculous and it should be left to the parents.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:06 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I don't really understand what they are trying to achieve to teaching it early? I just think that we are obsessed over trying to educate children on this in the hopes of them not having sex early however I really think its unnecessary for a 5 year old to know this stuff as they probably will not even be interested in it.

Everyone needs to relax.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:07 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The article goes on to say in the first grade the children would be taught about homosexual/lesbian sex..SICK..these type of people who want to do this are seriously deranged.Let children BE children.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:15 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Anonymous,I do not know what ten years olds you have known but never have I met any ten year old who was sexually active.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:44 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I read through some of the proposed curriculum. It is not the school systems business to educate my child as to this matter. That is my job as a parent. I don't understand why people are so bent on pushing this subject. My generation didn't have "the talk" until we were older and my the parent of the same gender. It was affectionately called the "birds and the bees". I had the innocence of my childhood and the adult knowledge when it was time. Why steal a child's innocence? Why steal this very personal thing from a parent?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I am against sex ed in elementary school completely. I think it is okay for them to teach girls/boys about their changing bodies in middle school, and over all health in junior high and high school. I don't think schools should be teaching moral subjects, which is what "wait until you are married" or "use protection every time" is. It is something that needs to be taught by parents, and if the parents know it won't be taught, they might find the guts to talk to their own kids about it.
    jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 9:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Exactly,there should be an opt out for those parents who do not want their children taught this by the schools AT THE VERY LEAST.Sounds to me like alot do not want it happening period including teachers.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:28 AM on Jul. 14, 2010