Type 2 diabetics: Do you use natural supplements?

Do you use natural supplements or prescription drugs to keep you glucose in check? I ask because after research I quit taking my metformin & started taking Dr Whitaker's Advanced Glucose Formula. My blood sugar is steadily coming down & I am losing weight again. The metformin wasn't doing it's job & I gained more weight & felt sick all the time.

motherofhope98

Asked by motherofhope98 at 9:04 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Health

• I know thie question is old but I think my metformi is making me have diverticulitis. My Dr won't chage it because it is the "gold standard". It makes me get dehydrated!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 8:50 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Thanks for this. My mom has type 2 diabetes (along with a lot of other things) and I'm always looking for more natural ways to help her.
    How much does it cost? Can it be taken with other, prescription meds?
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It was $84. It's 90 capsules & it came with 90 capsules of neuro vascular support. I don't know about other meds. I quit taking my prescription metformin.  www.drwhitaker.com

motherofhope98

Comment by motherofhope98 (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Did you know that the best diet for Type 2 Diabetics is a low fat vegan diet? http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20081001/vegan-diet-good-type-2-diabetes

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• That is totally irrelevant to my question. I'm looking for input on natural supplementation not diets.
    motherofhope98

Comment by motherofhope98 (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Most evidence on supplements is inconclusive as few are FDA approved for the use and large scale clinical trials controlling the grade of the supplements haven't really been conducted.

Cinnamon tablets are commonly discussed on diabetes forums. But, again, not real scientific evidence.

Fiber helps block the absorption of carbs, but only if there's more than 5g of fiber/serving. Get enough in a meal, and your glucose absorption can be impacted. I work with someone who has been taking Folic Acid. There seems to be some evidence suggesting it may be helpful. She's also lost a ton of weight and has dramatically improved her diet (2 major contributing factors).

I worked in diabetes for 8 years and try to keep up on evidence. Metformin is still regarded as the gold standard treatment if you can tolerate it and don't have kidney disease. At $4 and free in some cases, I'd keep on it!
    DanaDWeb

Answer by DanaDWeb at 2:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The Glucose Essentials contains Chromium, Pterocarpus marsupium Extract, Gymnema Extract, Cinnamon, Holy Basil Extract, Vanadyl Sulfate, Green Tea Extract, & Banaba Extract. These have been tested and proved effective in treating diabetes with little to no side effects.

Metformin has a lot of side effects and can become ineffective. These herbs have been proven to actually heal the body not just mask the symptoms.
    motherofhope98

Comment by motherofhope98 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Thanks for sharing! I found out the hard way that I'm allergic to metformin. My Dr. has me taking actos and if it weren't for our insurance, I'd be spending over $200/mo. for it!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I ran out of the Glucose Essentials. I switched back to metformin for a few days. I had severe stomach cramps & diarrhea. I won't take it again. I don't have any digestive issues on the Essentials.
    motherofhope98

Comment by motherofhope98 (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2010