IF YOU CAN stay at home with your kids why wouldn't you? What is the worst thing you know of happening at a daycare?

We had a teacher who was CRAZY. Crazy like she had made up kids on her attendance sheet that actually had days marked present and absent and kept sheets on how many diapers were used and how many bottles they took. We had a girl who worked there for a good 3 months without her background check being done. When it was finally done she had kidnapping and drug charges 5 pages long.

treynlisa

Asked by treynlisa at 9:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have heard of the diapers not being changed enought thru out the day
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 9:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• When my kids were small they stayed with their grandparents. The worst part about daycare for me was always the germs. When they did stay in daycare (maybe 3 times) they got sick.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Why do people find it necessary to scare the crap out of everyone about daycare? It only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:45 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Some people just aren't cut out to be SAHM. They need to be out and have a career and allot of them worked very hard in school to get where they are. There are sometimes that i wish i could be a SAHM like when my son is sick or i miss a first time for something but i know deep inside that i will NEVER be comfortable home all the time. I need the hustle and bustle of corporate life and that break from home each day. I could honestly never feel fulfilled just being a mommy. Maybe its my ADHD but i like being a Mommy,wife, t-ball coach, self defence teacher, and full time employee.

As to your second question the worst thing i have heard about is an 8yr old child in a temper tantrum Stumping on a 8 month old baby that was laying on a play mat on the floor. I don't know if its true though. The parent of one of my students told me about it
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Sending my child to college, and being able to retire, are both very important to me. My daughter had two full-time working parents, and was reading and tying her shoes long before her fifth birthday.

Before choosing childcare, you need to do your due diligence, and continue to do so, while your child is in the care of others.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• We were an Air Force family and traveled and we were transfered every couple of years so I didn't have an opportunity to use my college training and have a real career ( aside from the crappy sales or fast food jobs) and be a working mom. And I wouldn't have wanted to be a working Mom. We pinched pennies and saved money,etc. and we managed on one salary so that I could stay home.
    The daycare situation bothered me a lot. I actually loved staying home with my kids. Theywere sweet and fun little kids and I am so glad we were able to have me stay home with them. Daycare ...they try but they usually miss the mark: Babies sitting in a crib,crying for long periods of time, not having their diapers changed, catching diseases from other kids ....it all scared me.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Well I am a SAHM who had a career for over a decade & made a substantial salary and we became accustomed to having it. I had my DS and decided to stay home to raise him because I felt that no one would care for him like I would. We have managed (and it is NOT EASY) to live on one salary and have made MANY sacrifices. But in the end, I am happy to have been with my DS 24/7 in his infant/toddler years and will not be able to say that I missed anything. I am not saying everyone should stay home. You gotta do what you gotta do to eat and live but we learned to sacrifice so I could be there. By the way, staying at home and raising my DS is much harder than it was for me going to work every day. A labor of love that I would not trade for anything in the world.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I stayed home for the first year of my son's life but money was just too tight so I decided to work again... I work nights though so i get to see him during the day and his dad watches him at night but it is definately super hard...

As for daycares, my friends son pooped in his pants and they never cleaned him..... (shakes head)
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• See, I don't see keeping track of diaper changes and bottles fed to be a bad thing - unless it was to keep it to a minimum, but if I'd had a child in daycare I would like that kept track of so I'd know if my child had had a bm that day, was drinking all their bottles, if I needed to send more/bigger bottles. I stayed home with our oldest until he was 2 1/2 and then I had to go back to work because of financial reasons, but we used a private in-home daycare, and she was great - my son loved her and all the other kids. Then my mil retired so after we had our second son (and after my year of mat leave) she took care of our kids.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• So is the point of this question to bash daycare? I work and have had my DD in daycare for 3 years. She thrives there and is under the care of a wonderful woman. I do stay home during the summer months, which is very nice too. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2010