what is the worst thing you've ever heard of happening to kids with stay at home moms?

Just thought I'd give the question equal time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think that there are extreme cases in both SAHM and daycares. There are going to be great daycares and great SAHM and there are going to be abuse in both.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:11 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• these are people that have mental issues period..not cause they are SAHM's....
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 9:54 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Oh goodness! Remember the mom drowning her six kids one by one, youngest to oldest in the bathtub!?!?!?!?!? She was put on death row. They claimed she had post p. depression. I felt so bad for the husband because he came home from work to that.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 9:50 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Read the book "A Child Called It"
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• There was a woman down the street who drugged her 3 children with benadryl so they would sleep through her lover coming over during nap time
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Oh there was another woman who had mental issues, and she took her three boys and threw them off a bridge into the ocean or lake I believe. I forget the age range. So, sad.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 9:54 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i knew a girl who was a sahm. she was also a huge meth head. she had 3 kids that she paid no attention to during the day. the oldest would wander off to the neighbors and play in their yard. and once the youngest fell off the porch and broke his leg and she didnt find him for atleast 2 hrs.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Of course the Andrea Yates thing would come up. That is an extreme case though. She was told and so was her husband to stop reproducing. She could not handle her PPD. Her husband left her alone with those children and then finally when she started to lose it again got his mother to show up and babysit her and the children. Only she didn't show up for an hour after the husband left for work and that gave Yates the window to murder her children. No one disputes that is a horrible thing to have happened. But her husband doesn't deserve much sympathy as he was the one who kept getting her out of the institution she should have stayed in. As for bad things happening in daycares, there is not enough time in my day to list what I've heard and seen on the news. I can say that I was abused in both the ones I was in as a child. But that probably does not matter as this is another bash against SAHM's.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Wildflowers25, this was EXACTLY the point I wanted to make with this question! ALL daycares are not bad. There are extreme cases in both. In general, home daycares that are licensed are run by people who genuinely care about children and provide quality care for them! It only takes one bad apple to make the whole bunch look bad. Same with stay at home at home moms. This is not about bashing SAHM. It was to make a point. And as you read the previous posts, it worked.

I see it all the time on here, tell us the worst thing you've heard thats happened at a daycare. Why? Yes, people need to do what is best for their family and make informed decisions. Daycare is necessary for a lot of working families in this country. The licensed home providers and centers all took one day off here and businesses had to shut down because their employees couldn't come to work. I just wish people would think before they "post".
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Jul. 14, 2010