how can i stop my 5 year old yelling and crying at night to go to sleep

my 5 year old boy had no problem on going to sleep at night time but all last week and this week has been the same thing he yells and crys . that's how bad it is and plus he is coming out saying i don't want to,{ thats new } everything we tell him to do that's what he comes out with he has never done this before.we have always put the fan in his room at night time for him but now he doesn't want that it same like he is scared of it . i have to stay in bed with him until he falls asleep i had never done that before , we would put him down at 8:30 and give him a kiss and say see you in the moring and sweet dreams and i love you. i would also read him a story before he has to go to bed.he has autism and adhd but thats as never made him act this way at bedtime .i just don't know what to do i haven't got very much sleep.i have people that live close to me and i dont want them thinking that we are hitting him we are not

karenangel

Asked by karenangel at 9:53 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i wish i new mine does the same thing
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• First make sure he doesn't say have an ear infection wich could bother him when you put him down, but I would think he is old enough to tell you that...if nothing has changed like he didn't see a scary movie..or that fan that is scaring him has been removed keep his routine the same and you need to not let him know you are bothered by his behaviour...stay calm and continue with the normal routine, even if you have to do it 3 or more times...remain calm and DO NOT LAY IN BED WITH HIM! its a trap...these little buggers know what there doing and you will be doomed with that routine for many yrs to come and thats no fun! My oldest who is 15 now played those games and it nearly broke me I tried everything except being calm and staying in control....when I realized I was in control of the situation and didn't let her know she was in charge, things made a drastic turn aroundeven during the wake hrs. Good luck I'm here friend me!
    prettyhipmom

Answer by prettyhipmom at 10:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• if it's a scared thing then try this, my son(6) sometimes all of a sudden wont go in his room so his dad will say OK I'll go get the monster be gone spray (lavender room spray) my son then climbs into bed and my husband sprays under the bed around the closet and anywhere my son points. then he says there that should do it and with in 15 min he is out like a light.quiet

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• [prettyhipmom] thank you for writing to me but i never let my son watch scary movies and my son can't really talk so i have to guess and ask him and everything is yes i know i shouldn't be laying down with him but i don't what him to yell and cry .he was so good in going to sleep by himself but thank you so much anyway :)[northcarolinama thank you so much i will try that i hope that works :-)shannonsmom555]thank you anyways i wish you all the luck and hopefully our children will go to sleep on there own let me know and i will let you know :-)
    karenangel

Comment by karenangel (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010