For those of you who live in Tornado-frequent areas

When do you usually gather your emergency stuff and head for shelter? I"m in St Paul, MN and though we don't get many warning ourselves, I still get freaked out - I'm from NY and have NEVER been in a tornado. I'm curious because it seems like residents here never get worried.

atowers

Asked by atowers at 10:00 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Unless I hear something that sounds like a train (the tornado) I don't worry. We have a bag in the basement for all our stuff so all I have to do is get DD and myself down there.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I'm from Minnesota and lived in St Paul for a year and a half. They don't get freaked out in the city especially during the work day. Its like they think it can't happen to them. Now that I live in the outstate area, my husband is a police officer and trained as a severe weather spotter. I don't go for shelter until I hear the sirens. They only sound them when there is a direct threat. If you go every time you hear it on tv, you will spend a lot of time in the basement during the summer here. You will find the closer the severe weather gets to the metro area, the more warnings go out, even if it is 20 miles away.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• When i see or hear a tornado i get worried. ive lived in tornado alley my whole life, they dont scare me.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 10:10 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I was born in Minneapolis YEARS ago and I still get worried. I go to the basement with my purse and a flashlight. I don't understand why people don't care.......why don't they worry when they have seen what happens when one comes throug your neighborhood?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• hey we're in texas...lots n lots of warning & watches around here every year.
    we have a special closet in my master bedroom we built in our house that we go to...in our area of texas, basements are a rare, very rare find in a home...no, don't usually keep emergency items...(shame on me)...we've lived here all our lives, so guess we are, to a point, laid back about the whole warning/watch bit. i have been in 3 tornado in my life.
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 10:15 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i started keeping a small bag with a few diapers and waters and play toys, in our downstairs bathroom this past spring...weather was absolutely crazy..and it seemed like everyday we were under a tornado watch, that would turn into a warning and go until midnight..although we have never really been in a tornado, we've had lots of close calls..dh watched a wall cloud move with the bad weather when i was pregnant one night..he wants to see one, he says...lol...but like the pp's have said, until you hear the tornado, i wouldn't worry about it....if you feel like you need to take cover when they're sending out warnings on tv, then do it.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:18 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I live about 15 minutes form St.Paul. We keep stuff in the basement so that when sirens go off, all we have to do is run down to the basement.
    SLGross215

Answer by SLGross215 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I've lived in St Paul now for almost 2 years and most everyone I talk to about it doesn't care at all. Last summer when a tornado hit Minneapolis, I was on my way to a prenatal appt. and just as my doc was prepping me for the heartbeat, we had to go downstairs and I absolutely flipped out.

We live by train tracks so I have yet to find out if I'd be able to hear a siren over the train, but I know for sure that waiting to seek shelter until you HEAR it coming is not a good idea, but to each her own I'm not judging. If I don't have time to get us downstairs (about 3 doors to get through, 2 of which require a key) where in the apartment would you suggest taking shelter?
    atowers

Comment by atowers (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• we live in Oklahoma City and get 3-10 tornadoes a year somewhere in our area...its just a fact of life here. when i first moved down here tornadoes freaked me out b/c i had never been through on, but over the years ive gotten use to it. the still make my heart beat fast tho!
    we dont really have a shelter, just the best place to hide in our house, and we usually go there when the sirens sound. tornadoes are so frequent here that the weather ppl can give us an hour of heads up (most of the time), so i usually start setting up then.

you should take shelter at the lowest level possible inside an room w/ no windows or the center most room. bathrooms are the most common areas. we use our hallway since our bathrooms have windows.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• When we here the siren or the news says one is coming.
    Kathy-PSPR

Answer by Kathy-PSPR at 11:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2010