Do you believe that third party politicians can get elected on their own ballot?

as in, not under one of the two major parties?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Small local elections, yes. State elections, maybe. Presidential election, No.

It sucks.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Nope and I think it's totally unfair. Everyone should be given the same amount of money to fund raise for office and lets see what they can do with that. Our election system needs a major over-haul and until the two party system is done away with- elections will never be fair.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:11 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Yes they can and they should go for it.

Right now it is a good time for a 3-party the other two have failed big time and have become a one party.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:11 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Unfortunately, I don't think it'll happen for a while. Eventually, yes. People are becoming more aware of the fact there aren't only two options.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:17 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think our system doesn't work well with a 3rd or 4th name on the ballot. We end up with candidates like Ross Perot who's only purpose was to split the Conservative vote and get Clinton elected. They knew that was the only way it would happen. Perot only appeared on the political scene those 2 elections. He didn't need any fund raising. He accomplished his goal and then went away. A 3rd candidate who most likely has no real chance of getting elected will be too conservative or liberal (though these people are usually very conservative) and the result will be the same. That's not to say, there aren't very serious candidates. It just doesn't work. We need 2 very good choices. We just don't seem to ever like who has risen to the top.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I asked the same thing--you stated it more succintly! At least you got a few more responses! I think it will be a long hard road to do so, but ultimately, it takes money and money is a universal corrupter. Who is to say a 3rd party candidate would be any better? Once you gain the big chair, the game changes entirely.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• not until they get the 5% needed for equal funding and airtime

I think they need a "NAME" to do it...

I think Colin Powell should run as an INDY....

He would get at LEAST the 5% needed....and then we could possibly get THREE possabilities

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:05 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• In college I took a class on political parties in America. Back then (almost 20 years ago) the professor said that the two party system will not last. He said that the system is too broken to fix, and that there will be a time in the near future when people become fed up and third parties will gain a foothold permanently. I believe that time is now. People are fed up, and over the next decade the two party system will crumble. The major parties have done a good job of making sure third parties can't compete, but they can't control the general population. People are pissed, and they will make sure change happens. Unfortunately, there are still too many people out there who cling to the major parties. They are the ones who will vote for the lesser of two evils because they think a third party vote is a waste.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• No, not in national elections
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Not unless they pander to big business, in order to secure the necessary funding, which sort of defeats the the whole purpose-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010