How much of a non-conventional parent are you?

I get picked on all the time for the things that I do or I get grief about it from other parents.
I buy my kids outfits that say things like (for my extremely hyper 3 year old who I am always telling to calm down) "No you F*cking calm down!" and "Too cute to play with your ugly @$$ kid" and such. I even bought my newborn the onesies that say "I love my mommy even though she's a b*tch" and "I love my daddy even though he's an @$$hole".
Lol, I think they're great!

Also, we wrestle around with our kids and we all enjoy it but other parents think you shouldn't rough house with your kids.

I have been known to make "Kitty Litter Cakes" for my mom and today took a cake shaped like a toilet to my daughters daycare for completing her potty training.

I have been known to do many off the wall things.

So, am I a super non-conventional parent or what?
How non-conventional are you?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 10:07 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm taking my 9 year old on to his first Rob Zombie and Korn concert this weekend...when some people hear that they don't quite know what to say. But he loves them and at least I am spending time with him so I don't care what others think about that! SO also wrestles with the boys.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It doesn't matter what you TELL your children, it is what you SHOW them that will teach them the most. If you have no issues with your children using that language (when they are old enough to start repeating all those colorful words) then that's a parenting decision you'll have to live with. Just know that others may not allow their children to play with yours because they have made different parenting decisions. That may or may not even matter to you. Kids pick that stuff up in the strangest places. So there is only so much you can do to stop it. Don't think I'd be encouraging it, but that's just me.

The potty cake sounds adorable!! That's a really great idea.

I'm unconventional when it it called for. I tend to let the situation dictate. I homeschool, so that's one way I go against the flow.

Just remember, YOUR CHILD = YOUR RULES--regardless of what anyone else thinks.
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 11:34 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Well..the clothes (funny & cute), but I would only have them wear them at home.. not in public.
    The wrestling around--its good to play with your children.
    The potty cake--cute idea!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:11 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I can only say, only expose your children to the language and behavior that you find acceptable. They will use that language and they get in trouble with others. Teachers, other parents, children, and people in society in general frown on offensive language. They won't understand why they are getting into trouble and being disciplined in school, etc... You might find it funny, but people in general will wonder about your parenting skills. I think "you" could wear such attire but in the end your child will suffer for your decisions.

I don't think you want to call that "non-conventional". More like irresponsible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

•  I have used some words around him that I shouldn't have but try not to so no I wouldn't buy him an outfit with them on it. We do wrestle around him and with him. And the cake sounds adorable! :)

Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would not buy the outfits. but we slip in front of the kids sometimes but if they catch us we have to give them a dollar each
    but my husband rough houses with the kids, I dont see what is so non conventional about that
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 10:24 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I saw a onesie once that said "my daddy's a motherf***er" I thought it was hilarious. I would have bought it for my daughter but it was like $20 or more and I'm not paying more than about $5 for a onesie. I would not have put it on her when out in public, though. My SIL has one for her daughter that says "mmmm....boobies" I love it. Her daughter is breastfed as is mine, so it's fitting.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Hun, just do your own thing and forget what others think, they are not paying for the outfits, and everyone has their likes and dislikes, but when it comes to your kids, you are queen number one! I use to let my babies crawl in the grass in my back yard and a lot of family members had fits, I just ignored them and their antibodies were strong because of this!

Answer by older at 11:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I haven't let them wear those outfits to school, but we HAVE gone out to town with them. lol
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• OMFG, You are so special! JUST because my kids have dirty language on their clothes DOESN'T mean they can friggin READ! Get a life!

And my children ALSO have been taught that saying dirty words is not okay for children THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

So take that irresponible parenting and shove it in a dark place! Or since I'm so irresponsible BUT can SHOW MY FACE when I answer... shove it up your ass. Plain and simple.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Jul. 14, 2010