I've seen it on here a lot

But seriously why would you make a comment like this as your facebook status:

_______ is off to work....all of the millions of unemployeed Americans (I use that term loosely) on wellfare are relying on me!

I know, some people abuse the system, but why would anyone lump every unemployed person together in one category, and proceed to make a comment about them like that. I know a lot of people who are out of a job because they were working at the same job for years when their companies closed and are now unable to find more work. I do not have to rely on welfare, thankfully we are doing okay, but I do not mind and my husband does not mind, a few of our dollars going to help someone else. I mean seriously, how many of you would ever post that on your FB status?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 10:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My friend put that up as her status. Of course she believes that all people on welfare and homeless people are just too lazy to work so in this regard,she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I tried to reason with her as to why someone would choose to live on the streets instead of having a job and a real roof over their heads,but she wasn't hearing it. Yes,in some cases welfare is miused(case in point my SIL and BIL who refuse to look for full time work so they've been on it 9 yrs),but for the most part its to help REAL people in need. These are the same people who bitch about their taxes going to pay for police and fire depts.Like welfare,when YOU need them,you're glad its there.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I am on welfare AND I work my butt off so I feel this is very unfair to calssify everyone like this. Also I know of people who are unemployed right now because our company cut people (even though they worked with the company for over 13 years) and jobs are not available in our area right now.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:11 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• They seem to be uninformed and just repeating what they have heard from somebody else. Its called "GROUP THINK"
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 10:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Because they dont have a clue how the job market is because they have no reason to look for a job beause he/sheisluckytostill have ajob.
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 10:19 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• People who make comments like that one are just mean cry-babies. They feel superior and enjoy hurting others with words.
    I agree that welfare is a good and helpful TEMPORARY solution to temporary problems and shouldn't be a life-long crutch, but...really, that kind of attitude is so wrong.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• gammie- i have family in cali just lost their home cause they got laid off.. so it dont matter the state and not everyone can afford to pack up and move to another state for a job that takes money that a lot of ppl dont have... i feel for you gammie if you ever loose your job and i pray some one has more of a heart than you do towards others
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 10:21 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i've seen that a lot recently too.
    i dont' think i'd post that on my status. i work to support myself and my child .. not to support anyone else. and a time when our economy is so bad, how can you possibly blame other's for not finding a job??
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I lost my job in May and though I was fiscally responsible while I had a job to save enough money to live off of for a while, most people don't save any money and need to be on welfare to survive. Some people didn't make enough to save any money as well. Like you said, we cannot all be lumped. That is a very selfish thing for that person to have said. When I was working I was hoping I paid enough in taxes to help at least one family keep their house and put food on the table. I feel like while some people abuse the system, others just fall short and need a hand up for a little while until they are back on their feet.

ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:19 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• you rockbutterflyblue

oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 10:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• All I am going to say something my mom and grandmother told me one day as a life lesson. "Never criticize other people of their misfortunes or mistakes because, someday they will be your own"
    hellokittyfan

Answer by hellokittyfan at 11:44 AM on Jul. 14, 2010