Hitler and Obama , tea party infighting...What side do YOU fall on?

DES MOINES, Iowa – A billboard created by an Iowa tea party group that compares President Barack Obama to Adolf Hitler and Vladimir Lenin is drawing sharp criticism — even from fellow tea party activists who have condemned it as offensive and a waste of money.

The North Iowa Tea Party began displaying the billboard in downtown Mason City last week. The sign shows large photographs of Obama, Nazi leader Hitler and communist leader Lenin beneath the labels "Democrat Socialism," "National Socialism," and "Marxist Socialism."

Beneath the photos is the phrase, "Radical leaders prey on the fearful & naive."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_iowa_obama_billboard

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I saw that article also, I thought the tag line was irony at its best: radical leaders prey on the fearful and naive. So, by posting that, what part of them feel they are not doing the same thing? I do think it is important to point out that the sane side of the Tea Party (and thankfully that is the majority) have decried the billboard and are totally embarrassed by it.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 10:42 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I noticed in my question the other day..."who is the worst person in the world" no one said Obama. A lot of people said Hitler.

it is a stupid waste of money, and what's worse, it dilutes the message of the tea party...at least two thirds of whom are extremely sane, fiscally conservative, with a great knowledge of history, etc... and at least some of them are skating a pretty thin line along the "may need mental help" status.

Guess who they show on tv?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:57 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I didn't read the article, but I never like attack ads. If you can't promote your point of view based solely on it's own merits, why would I be convinced you're right. Silly attacks of the other side just make you look stupid.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 10:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It is shameful that children have to drive by billboards such as the one in nyc (imo) which displays a calvin clien add with a young woman who looks of about 13 sexing it up with two older guys.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Oh sure....comparing Obama or Bush to Hitler is okay? I think not.

Not as a whole.  I am sorry that you misinterpreted my meaning.  I mean that it is only fair to compare certain policy or ideals, not as a leader in whole.  I don't have an issue with people comparing some things Bush did with Hitler.  I don't have to agree with them.  Where it becomes offensive (for any comparison) is when our leaders are depicted as Hitler.  I don't agree with a billboard saying that Obama is Hitler, but I am more apt to listen to a discussion if we are speaking of certain policies or ideals specifically.  THAT is what I meant.  And I am perfectly fine with you disagreeing with me.@@ ;o)

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• While I don't always agree with what our presidents do, they do deserve the respect of our country. It upsets me to see any comparison of our country's leaders to Hitler or Lenin. I sometimes wonder what people are thinking? We are a free country, but people take it way too far sometimes. I guess they got the reaction they were looking for in printing such garbage. And the tea party wonders why people don't take them seriously.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I find the "outrage" to be incredibly one-sided. Where was the "outrage" when Bush was mercilessly compared to Hitler?!?! You all were dead silent! Whether you liked him or not, taking it to THAT comparison level is beyond reproach. Hypocrites!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:42 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Gertie41, how very open-minded of you! Wow. So just because they are from Northern Iowa, they are uneducated hicks? Wow.

I think the ad is stupid, but it just shows how upset people are over the "change" Obama has brought upon is all. I will also say that there is a bit of truth to their message. However, scare tactics are not the way to get your message across and it just makes the Tea Party look bad, imo.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• And Lori - no I wasn't. I did not agree with Bush on countless topics, but I fought with anyone that compared him to Hitler and other nasty things. I believe people, all people, are required to fight the issues, not attack the person.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 10:44 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think the comparison here is not so much the actions, but the mindset & with that, I wholeheartedly agree. obama & the obama administration is hellbent on creating a socialist nation & is using radical destruction of corporations, our constitution & anything else they can to dismantle our country as we know it & create the change they so desire. They have waged an all out war on our unborn human beings & will soon be adding the elderly & disabled to that list. Sounds like Hitler to me.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 14, 2010