Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Confused about baby items

Dh and I are newly pregnant. I'm embarrassed by how little I know about baby items. What exactly does a pack 'n play consist of? I have a crib. Should I still have this? Also, what's the deal with car seats? Are they like baby clothes? Do I need a 1-3 month one; a 3-6 month one; a 6-9 month...etc? What do I need in an infant mattress? I should look for firmness, anything else?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (9)
  • A pack and play is a playpen that you can fold up and take with you, I never did though it was too bulky! Car seats are based in the baby's weight. Try and find a certified car seat tech in your area, they can help you learn how to install it properly in your vehicle.

    Answer by nmmama09 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • Go to your local library and check out Baby Bargains by Denise Fields. Might help you a bit.

    Car seats - if you get an infant seat, it should last you about a year. Our daughter is 11 months and we're soon going to switch her to a convertible seat.
    Mattress - you can google crib safety or crib mattress safety and you should find info on that, as well. We chose a cheaper crib and splurged on an organic mattress. There are a lot of nasty chemicals in mattresses.
    Pack n Play - we just went with a basic one, no bassinet, changing table, etc. and use it when we travel or if I need somewhere safe to put her quick and don't want to go all the way to her room. We really don't use it all that often.

    Answer by Christina807 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • A pack n play is basically a portable playpen. Some of them have removable bassinets that fit in the top of them. You may not need one. I found it useful because I usually spend 1 weekend a month visiting my parents. I just left mine at their house unless I knew we were going to be traveling somewhere else.

    There are basically three types of car seats: infant carriers, convertible seats, and boosters. Some people skip the infant carrier, but I found it easier to move a sleeping baby around, because they stay in the carrier and the carrier snaps into the base that you leave in the car. Many of them are also part of travel systems, so they fit onto a stroller, too. Convertible seats are used once the infant seat is outgrown; they can rear face and forward face. Boosters are for older kids; in my state, they're for kids over 4.

    Yes, and infant mattress should be firm.

    Answer by andrea96 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • I remember being the same way! Pack and play is for traveling when you won't have your crib. I used it for awhile to take a shower, things like that until they were able to crawl out. Car Seats are a must and you won't be able to leave the hospital unless you have one installed in the car. They are based on weight, rear -facing until certain age, then you turn it around. Then you move up in stages! Mattress is supposed to be firm and no comforters or bulky blankets or pillows...sheet and baby only. Congrats and have fun shopping!

    Answer by ShelbysHope at 10:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • I loved my pack and play. I had one that came with the bassinet and used that the first few months both my children were born. it gives an enclosed area for the baby to play in when you are outside, cleaning, or need a shower. Or if you travel a portable crib. PP gave the best advice for carseats. You really will only need one for the first year and then another one when they pass the one year and weight requirements unless you buy a convertible carseat.

    Answer by ZaTa at 10:47 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • My parents had a pack n play so we could use it when we stayed at there probably wont need one unless you travel alot. Car seats should be good up to 2o lbs..then you get a new one when they are around a year old. Teh 2nd one is for toddlers and should last for years. Then they move to a booster seat. All these car seat upgrades are based on weight and height so just get the infant one for now.

    Answer by ria7 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • I rarely used my Pack & Play. It's just a travel crib that you can take with you when you spend the night somewhere. You need an infant car seat. That will last you for the first year. After that you buy a new one. You will need some sort of bouncy baby seat. I have no idea about the mattress. Ours came with the crib. Good luck! Are you having a shower?

    Answer by mompam at 10:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • Infant carseats go from 5-20lbs or you can get a convertible carseat which goes from 5-35 pounds you just can't carry the baby in it and you can go to the police department to get it installed properly instead paying someone to do it for you. Pack and plays are good if you are going to be staying the night away from home and you don't want the baby sleeping with you. Start with size 1 diapers, start with 3 or 4 newborn size outfits but, the rest the normal sizes 1-3 / 3-6 / 6-9 / 12months. Infant mattresses are all the same just depends on what brand name you want and how much you want to pay.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 10:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • a pack and play is a play pen you can fold up and take with you .they are good to have incase you go out for the day for go on vacation or your baby stays the night somewhere .some pack and plays come with a bassinet and changing tables others dont .
    car seats you can get an infant one but they need a toddler seat when they reach a certain weight then when they get a lil bigger you need a booster seat unless you get a convertable carseat which some of them can be transformed into all 3 .the matress it dont really matter they are kinda all the same anyway

    Answer by britme1027 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.