Does anyone take old clothing that is wearing out and take it apart to use as a pattern?

I really like some of the shorts my sons have and I was just wondering if anyone takes clothing that may be wearing out or even getting too small and take the pattern from that piece of clothing and make a bigger size??? How would I go about doing that? Would you just add an inch or something for a size bigger????

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Add one and 5/8 inches for the next size up. Just be aware sewing the zipper are, with flap, in shorts or pants for boys/men is very tricky. I think you are one smart mama for doing that. Back in the days of pioneers in America, women took old, worn clothing, cut out the good parts and made quilts with them. I make my own dish towels, and have made fleece blankets.
    Be willing to experiment and learn. Try, try, and try again. Practice makes Perfect. Good for you.
    Another thing, with old jeans and any heavy fabric, cut up the worn out clothes and make bean bags and create a bean bag game for the kids. Also go to different craft sites online and search crafts for kids. Have fun with it.
    Martibee

Answer by Martibee at 11:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It has been many years, but I think I just added a couple inches.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:42 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• ALL THE TIME!!!

1) Take his measurements, so you know what you need to make.
    2) To make the SAME pattern, add 5/8in seam allowance if it has been serged.
    3) To make it fit him, measure the pattern, and add length girth where necessary.

Hope that made sense... I sew all the time, and make a lot of the kids stuff (LOVE making my own clothes- and have an awesome collection of original patters! and a lot of vintage ones too, I collect those)

If you have questions, feel free to msg me.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:44 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Wow I did that when I was in high school my mom taught me that. Thanks for reminding me, clothes are too expensive and that is a great idea there is always bargains on fabric and remnants in the fabric store.
    hellokittyfan

Answer by hellokittyfan at 10:44 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• No, we usually use it as a cloth to clean the kitchen haha.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 11:56 AM on Jul. 14, 2010