Why has politics become: you have to agree with me or you are wrong?

I am tired of being told, no, you aren't allowed to say that/vote that/think that/believe that and I will toss insults at you until you know I am in the right. From who is the President now (and it was the same just a mere three years ago in the opposite direction), to abortion, to education topics, to civil rights. Why is it I am right and you are wrong? And why does this count as an argument?

What happened to debating? Discussing? Incorporating your ideas with my ideas and vice versa to find a common ground, or even just a civil - okay I listened to where you are coming from, don't agree, but thanks for the food for thought?

It is our refusal to do this that is the root cause of our government spiraling out of control. I expect at any time for our HoR/Sen to start looking like WWF wrestling matches.

urkiddingright

Asked by urkiddingright at 11:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You are wrong, whether you agree with me or not, depending on who you are and if I like you!

THIS is an indication of the problem. How can nastiness not ensue if some people think their OPINION is the only correct, moral,real, obvious answer to ALL the world's problems? Seriously...................

Thinly veiled sarcasm.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• When SOME people REFUSE to see the proverbial "writing on the wall" and INSIST above all FACT and common sense, that a certain president has proven himself to have a hidden agenda (hidden only to those who watched his "razzle-dazzle" speeches, instead of reading the transcripts), and that he is a puppet for the Progressive Party and financially influential people like George Soros, and yet REFUSE to admit it....it tends to make one's blood boil!!

So yes, there are SOME specific issues where I get bent out of shape...because I simply cannot stand to see people moseying along, worrying about their own immediate needs and gratification, and not looking to the future or see the big picture!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:18 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• IDK. I just know that sometimes "you" (not YOU OP!) is wrong on some issues. Spending is what I am thinking of here...I get frustrated with those that think our govt needs to keep writing "hot checks" and "opening new credit card accounts because the others are charged to the limit." Beyond this type of thing, I agree with you. I don't like being called a racist because I disgreee with BO's policies.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Sorry, I thought of something else to add!

I am also tired of the bickering of our leaders. IMO they all need to "go home" for a few months and have some serious meetings with their constituents to find out what THEY want and then go back to DC and go to work on it. Their constituents are their employers after all.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:10 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I totally agree with you!!!!! specially in this section, there is a group of women who seem to have the only right answers! bumped ya!

Answer by older at 11:17 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I got called a "usual suspect" and "bitchy" today because I spoke of progressives. I got a vote down for my opinion about Native Americans and passports. It isn't the politics. It is the people. They want to only discuss issues from their point of view. That is fine. Start a group. Go to your group and have a day. Stop the name calling and veiled rudeness just because everyone doesn't see the world from a liberal point of view.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It's basic human nature to (want to) be right all the time. It's not just politics, it's everything. Being or feeling right all the time or most of the time gains a person the feeling of control. And the need to contol is also a basic human trait that we all possess that only is surpassed by the need to eat and have sex.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:17 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• When it comes to politics it does get very heated. The refusal to see the facts drive me crazy. Not what I think is a fact, but is a fact and I have video to prove it. I feel that we are on a sinking ship and some people have bind faith on who they voted for. For the last 10-years with Bush-Obama policies are killing us. There is no jobs and things will get worse, and just wondering how long will it take for people to wake up.

You are 100% right when you say this is the root cause of our Government spiraling out of control. People will not check on facts and refuse to see and they think by calling you names that will change the facts?

I'm no Zombie to any party or politician and I wish more people would think the same and stop voting for the dam parties. Vote for for who is right for all and maybe the fights will stop.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:35 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Because not since the civil war are we so close to losing our freedoms and our way of life that we have enjoyed and has made us the greatest nation in the world.

We have done all of this in just a short 234 years, and the guy in the White House wants to take that all away from us.

I am not going to let him do it without a fight, even if it kills me. There are other ladies on her that feel the same way.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Have you also noticed all the in-party bickering too? If you are republican, you aren't republican enough, or you are a soft republican, you are a staunch republican, or you are a democrat-thinking republican... Not to just pick on the republican party but that is what we are hearing the most about recently. Yet we can compare our president to Hitler, burn the flag, scream about freedom of speech, send our part time national guard soldiers and expect them to fight other country's wars for them and still want to be a "free" country. It is definitely a confusing time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2010