Im starting nursing school next August (2011). I will graduate June 2013. I'm 34 now. Should I get pregnant now or after I finish school?

My bio clock is ticking like a lunatic! My son is 8. My SO wants to wait til I graduate and then get married. By then I will be almost 38 before we TTC. Should I get pregnant now and have a baby before I start school? And try to convince him that I can have a baby and work part time at the hospital, and go through the RN program. Or should I wait and hope that we can conceive when I would be 38 and he would be 48?

Joanne28

Asked by Joanne28 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• After you finish school. No need to prolong your education.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 11:05 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Why would you have another baby now? Nursing school is tough and will take up all your time. It can be done, but I would wait till the end of your schooling
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:11 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I agree after you finish school. All of my friends who went to nursing school say it is very intense and stressful. I wouldn't want to be going while pregnant or with a newborn
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:16 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My SIL just finished nursing school and I can tell you that the schooling alone is HARD! She put in so many hours and study time. I am preggo with my 3rd right now and I feel like a champ if I get up to take a shower, this pregnancy has been super hard on me this first 3 months...so sick and tired.

You never know how you are gonna feel when you get pregnant, you might not be able to handle both. Lots of women do, but then again, lots of women dont.

She also had things that were difficult for her emotionally....they had to do a rotation in OB and she saw a baby die, and helped the head nurse prepare the baby for the family to say good bye too.... :(

I cant imagine having to do those type of things pregnant.

If you can choose...then choose to wait.....before you know it you will be graduated and you will be TTC....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:19 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Good, i'm glad y'all are unanimous. I will wait then. Thank you :)
    Joanne28

Comment by Joanne28 (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• After you finish school. I am in nursing school and I had a 2 yr old when I got into the program and then found out I was pregnant, (huge surprise and not in the plan), but I put school off and gave up my slot that year and luckily I got in again the next year, but that meant I was starting nursing school with a 6 month old and a 2.5 yr old. It was really hard to leave him, not have enough time with him since he was so young, he weaned himself at 8 months because he was getting so much supplement bottles that he became in love with the bottle and not so much with mama, it made me really sad. It's been really hard, but my husband is like a 50/50 partner, he does laundry, cleans, and also works a lot of overtime, but he really helps out a lot at home which is essential. Nursing school is the hardest thing I've done, and I wish I had done it many years ago before I had my family it would been so much easier, but it's up to you.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My cousin's wife was in nursing school to be a LPN, and we was 37 and got pregnant w/ baby number 5. She had a really hard time with the pregnancy and ended up taking off 2 semesters. Now she is really close to graduating and 40 years old and pregnant w/ baby number 6. She now has a high risk pregnancy and has been put on bed rest at 25 weeks.So she wont be able to graduate this time either. It is hard to say what you should do, I can understand you want to get pregnant because you are afraid your chances wont be as good later on, but you also want to wait because it will be hard to do and go to school at the same time. I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• wow! im really glad I asked this question! these are great answers. terrific advice. (crying). My SO is very supportive. I have been hating him for telling me to wait but I guess he is right. Hopefully my clock will calm down,lol!
    Joanne28

Comment by Joanne28 (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Jul. 14, 2010