Natural Anxiety Relief

I have been suffering terribly from anxiety for about 6 months. I do not want to start taking rx. Does anyone have any good suggestions for natural ways to deal with anxiety and sleep deprivation?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Health

• Valerian Root
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It helped a little for sleep but it only helped me to fall asleep I still wake up after a few hours. Thanks
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 11:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I was just thinking about this last night
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 11:11 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Maybe melatonin for sleep and valerian for more general anxiety.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Streneous excercise!

Answer by older at 11:15 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Quietminds.net
    (make sure its .net and not .com:)
    Its a multivitamin suppliment focusing on the vitamins the brain needs for mental health:) GL (And it works real well i use it)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 11:16 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The therapist taught me a relaxation technique to try and you have to religiously practice many times a day. It works. Eyes closed, sit in a relaxed position, feet flat on the floor. Concentrate on relaxation. Put your mind in a pleasant calm place. You breathe in slowly through your nose while pushing your diaphragm out. Do that very slowly while counting to 10. Then very slowly exhale blowing the air out of your mouth while pulling your diaphragm in, very slowly counting to ten. Repeat until you start to feel relaxed. It is a natural way to get a hormone release for relaxation. It works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• OMG I was watching Dr. Oz this morning and there is a natural remedy I believe its called passion flower and you put a few drops in your tea or beverage of choice and its suppose to really help....I suffer myself and I am medicated because of it, I want to check with my doc to see if I would benefit from this passion flower and to make sure it wont interfere with my meds. Good luck
    prettyhipmom

Answer by prettyhipmom at 11:32 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• passion flower (my neighbor grows this & they are beautiful flowers!!!) so you could buy it at the store, or if you have a lil' green thumb in ya you could grow it yourself & probably get a stronger/better dose by getting it straight from the source
    my dh always tell me I should take St.Johns Wort for anxiety too.. but i never have.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The only ones I'd recommend are exercise and therapy.
    Most natural products have never been submitted to the FDA nor have approval, so the claims they make are largely marketing vs. science. In many cases, the risk outweighs the benefits.

I've had anxiety for many years, but after my diagnosis of cancer and treatment, I'm less interested in taking medications (cause of cancer is unknown). So, I manage on my own.

People swear by yoga techniques as well as meditation.
    You may also look into something like chiropractic or acupuncture if you're serious about not wanting to take medications.

An FDA approved product is monitored by law for safety, so I'd be much more inclined to go that direction personally. But, I'm a scientist and have worked in the pharmaceutical industry for a decade.
    DanaDWeb

Answer by DanaDWeb at 2:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2010