How can I get my 19 month old to sleep through the night?

My 19 month old wont sleep through the night or give up her bottle. I give her a sippy cup and she doesnt want it she wont drink anything unless its from my cup or her bottle but worst of all is she wont sleep through the night. She wakes up anywhere from once to three times a night for either milk or water and i cant seem to break her of it.

seabee_wife

Asked by seabee_wife at 11:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Leave a chair near the crib with a bottle that has water and show her that your putting it there. If she wakes up in the night she can take it herself. That's what my friend started doing and she said it is working quit well.
    The bottle problem, my child was like that also try straws! She loves straws I let her drink from soda can with a straw and she got all excited. Then I bought her to a store and we got one of those cups that come with a straw inside it's great!
    rubberecycle132

Answer by rubberecycle132 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Get her a cup just like yours to see if it will entice her to use it more often. Drink together and make it fun. Switch what you drink from, temporarily, if you are using glass all the time.
    I have not dealt with that sleeping issue so I'll pass on that part of your question. .
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:17 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Is this a recent thing or has she never slept through the night?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Never slept through the night
    seabee_wife

Comment by seabee_wife (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• She might be getting too many napes during the day, or too long of a nap try shorter naps.

My daughter was not a napper, my other three were, by 2 she didn't want to nap. LOL, she went to be earlier but it was fine being we woke up early.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:28 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Naps
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• A "sleep through" is considered five hours, anything more than that is icing. Sleep patterns in the majority of children don't really settle until age 3 or 4. Are you sure your expectations are realistic? The vast majority of babies and toddlers do not sleep 10-12 hour stretches without waking.

Are you putting her to bed too early? If you put her down at 7 and she wakes 12, that's hardly fair, for example, to say she doesn't sleep all night. She's been asleep for five hours and is going to need to pee, or drink especially this time of year. Make sure she is tired and don't push naps during the day if she's not sleepy. It is best to try and coincide your sleep with hers. If you know she wakes at 10 and you haven't gone to bed yet...there is no problem! Just feed her and then go to bed.

And toss the sippy cup. Straw cups are easier to use and are better for jaw development.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:39 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would just start giving her cups already then if she still only wants the bottle or from a cup. I started giving my daughter cups now, she is the same age as your daughter. But has been weaned off the bottle since she was 1 so I got lucky there, we didn't have a problem switching her to a sippy cup. As for the sleeping, we co-sleep and that is really the only way she will fall asleep all night. If by some chance we move her to her crib she wakes up 1 - 2 times a night crying wanting to get back in bed with us. But I would try the chair and bottle thing, especially if that's the only reason she is waking up.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2010