Does anybody do pilates?

If so, is it better than lifting weights(for toning)? I'm thinking of maybe trying it.

randerykah

Asked by randerykah at 11:19 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• It's complete rubbish that Pilates makes your muscles longer. You cannot make your muscles longer than they already are. Also, i like the look of weight lifting better. Women will only get bulky from lifting weights if they lift super heavy with the intent of getting that "jacked" look. I have found weight lifting to be more beneficial & i also think it tones my arms more & makes my arms look much more sexy than pilates ever could. Pilates never got rid of that sag, that under arm sag only went away after i started using weights & working certain groups of muscle. Anyhow, i was an avid pilates fan & went to class 3 times a week & did it at home too, but now i lift light weights & do lots of yoga. The two of those combined are much better than pilates IMO.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:35 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You will definately feel it like lifting weights. I do it because it doesn't add the bulk like weights do. I have Windsor Pilates the Pink addition with the stretch band.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't say its better. It's different. Trains your muscles differently by longer and leaner. I used to be an avid weight lifter but now prefer pilates and yoga.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I do. I take a class 2 times a week. It is a class that uses a reformer. I LOVE IT! It tones quickly and makes your muscles leaning/longer not bulky. I do some mat pilaties at home but I like using the reformer better.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Oops that didn't make sense. Meant trains your muscles differently by making them longer and leaner rather than bulking outward.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I ment leaner not leaning! LOL!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I took pilates last year, DH bought me 10 sessions for Mother's day last year. I absolutely LOVED it. Wish we had the money so I could continue. I think its very different than weight training. At the time I was doing cargie and weight training at the gym for a few months before starting the classes, and after the first class I was sore for 3 days. Felt so good, lol. Makes you use muscles in a different way. Its good for your back too. Loved it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:36 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• cargie?? lol, that should say cardio, sorry =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2010