Do you give money to homeless people, like the ones who hold the cardboard signs?

I saw a man the other day standing beside the entrance to wendy's I was going to the drive through. His sign said will work for food. Well I went and got mine and SO and DS's food and also got an extra meal for the homeless man. Well I took the food to him, and he was like I would have rather had the money you spent, I was like huh? Are you serious? I figured he would be happy to get it. Well I was a little aggravated with the situation so I pulled back in the parking lot and we ate in the car, I saw another car stop and give the man money, he started walking down the street, I thought he was just deciding he had enough, but after we ate and left we saw him walking into the liquor store down the street. It is people like him who make it hard to decide who is really in need and who isn't. What do you think?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• nope
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 11:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I agree with you. I will offer food to people or offer to buy them lunch but prefer not to give money. I know it is their choice how to spend their gift but I do not want to contribute to the purchasing of alcohol...regardless of whether they are homeless or not.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I have given them money. And I've done the same thing you have..I bought one guy a bfast meal from Mcdonalds. He didn't even say thanks..he just looke dat me and at the food like..wth am I supposed to do with this. Well, you wanted FOOD, right? If they want liquor and not food, maybe they should pan handle outside a liquor store instead, at least I would know they were being honest...hell..I might even go in and buy them a bottle of Mad Dog, LOL.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I, like you, will give them food. I will not support any habits they may have by giving them money.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I prefer to give them a bag of grocerys, then you know they arent spending the money for booze or worse.
    dustinsmom1

Answer by dustinsmom1 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You did the right thing by buying him food, I would have done the same, I often do it myself, but money will only enable an addict to get his fix.

Answer by older at 12:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I dont have any extra money or food to give them. And I think it is totally rude when they try to scam people for money when they just want booze. At least they could be honest about it, and maybe some nice person will buy them a 6-pack instead of the food they need to survive.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Yes. I always give to homeless people, if I can.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I have bags of food in my car, like canned goods. I don't hand out money.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I do like to give, but I prefer to give food or clothing rather than money. Drug and Alcohol problems run all through my family and I would feel guilty if giving someone money added to their habit - My father was one of those "guys with a sign" for some time so he could pay for his habit! So I try not to give money, but I will if that's all I have.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2010