How much do you spend on Bridal Shower/Wedding gifts?

Hello ladies....I am going to a wedding in a couple months and I have a couple questions(I have not been to a wedding since mine 14 years ago!!)

I received the bridal shower invite the other day with 2 bridal registry cards.Do I buy a gift for the shower and wedding? Or just a gift off the registry for the shower and maybe money/gc for the wedding?How much is the average cost per event?I am not to close with this couple but I love to buy gifts that I know people will want and like.Should I buy a few things off the registry and give some for the shower and some for the wedding?Or just give most of it at the shower?

Sunflower722

Asked by Sunflower722 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would buy a gift from the registry. I usually spend $50. I only buy one gift. If I go to the shower I bring a gift if not I bring it to the wedding.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 12:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I usually do a small gift for the shower and spend about $100 on the wedding gift. The important thing is that you are comfortable with the amount of money you spend.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would buy a gift off the registry for the shower. Spend around $30 - $50. Then I would give money for the wedding. Around $100 - $150.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I really don't know what the proper thing to do is, but I usually just buy for the shower. On the wedding day couples are so caught up in the big day that they aren't real worried about gifts.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Oh and I usually spend $50 if not real close and $100 if it is family or a really close friend
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I'd buy something for both the shower and the wedding. And spend what you feel is right, I always found that the most important thing is making it look like you put thought into it. I figure if you can only spend $20 make it count. I also found at my wedding when someone just gave me a $20 bill I would have rather they spent the money on buying things they thought I would need, because otherwise I felt that it was sort of wasted.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would select a gift from the registry for the shower. Amounts depends on how close I am to the person ($50- 300)
    Wedding I always give money. In New York average about is about $250. I usually give $250-1000 depending on how close again. If it is a niece or nephrew I give much more.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 12:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It depends on the couple and their needs for me. If they already are set with a home and all the trimmings I would probably just give something small or personal. If they are just starting out I would get them something more needed. But I never put an amount on things. Be it $30 or $300 if the gift fits, that's what they get!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• No more than $20! Or a card with $20 in it.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 12:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2010