Why are women so offended by the idea of the Burqa?

The View this morning was talking about how the Burqa is demeaning to women and is a safety hazard... I have NEVER understood this. Now, I can understand in countries were women are FORCED to wear this or that how that idea can be offensive. But here in the US and through Europe its not something that's forced, but something that's up to them... SO, why is this so offensive?

Someone explain to me how this is such a bad thing... I think they are beautiful. I'm not Muslim, but if I could get away with wearing one without being offensive to the Muslim community, I would... Why is it seen as such an offensive thing?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:51 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't find it offensive......but if they work somewhere where it might get caught or something, i'd be worried about it.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i am not sure and it doesnt bother me at all
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Because they don't understand. I've had women thinking I'm oppressed and being demeaned because I dress according to Jewish law- long skirt, arms covered, no cleavage and I cover my hair. They don't realize the meaning and beauty behind these laws.
    And funnily enough, they think that choosing to go around displaying their bodies is more "liberating" and "empowering" than covering yourself up and respecting your body enough to keep it as a special thing between yourself and your partner.
    As it always happens with religious attacks... it's probably based on complete and utter ignorance.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I really don't know, I've seen several women wear them and I just see it as their way of living. I see nothing wrong with it.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think culture still requires them to but I have no problem with it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I find it to be beautiful, too. But I guess people assume its forced on women, rather than seeing it as a faith choice.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• but I wonder if it is really their choice? I like to see peoples faces as a human~I find it unsettling that some people get to hide away. I know it has purpose and meaning to not be seen~

surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:57 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• No all women in North America wear the burqa by choice. If we want to admit it or not, many women in North America are still subject to cultural and family pressures. For example, Aqsa Parvez was strangled to death in Ontario recently by her father and brother for not wearing her Hijab to school. Their reasoning? The community would have thought they didn't have control over her, if they didn't kill her. (yes, I know a hijab is not a burqa)

Do some women choose to wear the burqa. Sure.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 12:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't say the actual burqa is demeaning but it's enforcement is akin to slavery IMO. The burqa is enforced in western society by the family.  I posted a link on another thread about a teenage girl murdered by her father because she didn't want to wear a burqa.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I'm not offended by it at all. Its not my religion but I love the idea behind it. I'd do it if I didnt think i'd get to hot or offend others whose religious views do it
    GothicMama

Answer by GothicMama at 12:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2010