Why is teaching children proper names for the body parts so offensive to parents?

On The View this morning they were talking about a school which is starting "sex ed" in Kindergarten. BUT, the extend of this Kindergarten Sex Ed is simply teaching the proper names - as they do for arms, legs, heart and other body parts. They are NOT discussing their uses or the "sex" part, just teaching the proper names... Why are so many parents upset by this stuff? Someone explain how teaching the word Penis is damaging to a child or is really even considered "sex ed." I would think this is basic elementary anatomy class...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:55 AM on Jul. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I dont find anything wrong with children knowing their body parts.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:58 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I dont know, I dont feel it necessary for my 4 yr old to say penis and vagina. Teach your child what you want, i will teach mine what I see fit...case closed.
    dustinsmom1

Answer by dustinsmom1 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Proper names don't offend me. But we do say other terms for them in general.I don't think either way is wrong. I don't really know anyone that takes offense to it..but maybe thats just my circle of people, idk.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• What Kimberly said.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It's fine for kids to learn the proper names. I wouldn't want my kids to have a class about it in school. They can learn the names the way I want to teach them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Doesn't bother me a bit, that's what I am teaching my two-year-old. She and mommy have a vulva and Daddy has a penis. I started that because she was referring to her front and back as "butt" and I didn't want her confused. I don't understand why we have to have cutsey names like winky pee-pee or any of that for genitals, we don't have those names for other body parts.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• That's just as strange to me. We always use anatomically correct words for body parts except for breasts, but that's because I nursed all my kids and we always just called them boobies. I think that teaching the correct name without shame or making it sound dirty is good. Then it doesn't have to be so taboo to talk about all the parts and their functions. Seriously, do you want your son talking to you about his penis or his 3rd grade friends? If you haven't allowed him to call it penis or even talk about it and it's a "yuckie" thing to be hidden then he's not going to feel comfortable talking to you about it. Flip side: I think it's the parents' responsibility to teach sex ed. It could be a class parents and kids take together or just for parents. Having it at school makes it harder for parents to discuss it at home because they don't know how to approach it.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 12:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• " I wouldn't want my kids to have a class about it in school."

WHY? Isn't that why you send them to school? Isn't anatomy a basic part of both health and science classes? How is this NOT something the school should cover?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I don't think they see it as offensive but more embarrassing. Some people are taught that we do not say "those words" in public or in front of other people. I was always told to teach the correct body part that way if something was to happen to them the child would use the proper word and not something made up.

Decker

Answer by Decker at 12:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think it is wrong to NOT teach them the proper names of their body parts.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2010