Ok, here's the scoop. What happens next? (PIOG)

First of all, I am educated about the infection risks involved with this and have made an informed decision. I am 38/39 weeks and have been in pre-labor for two weeks. I met with my Midwife today, she checked my cervix, it is extremely soft, at least 70% effaced and a definate 4 cm dialated. We decided to strip my membranes. She also mentioned that the amniotic sack was very bulgy. So ladies my questions are, what happens from this point:

Could I go into labor soon?

Will it come on fast or gradually?

Would my water be more likely to break on its own?

Will nothing happen at all?

What happened to you?

These are things that are so variable that I would be so grateful for your imput and experience. I decided not to bombard my Midwife with these questions because she had many other patients to see this morning. Thank you so much in advance. CM ladies you are all so wonderful :)

kittymontclaire

Asked by kittymontclaire at 12:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had my membranes stripped twice with my oldest. The first time was on my due date. I had irregular cramps for a few hours afterwards that tapered off. I had it done again one week after my due date. I had irregular cramps that became more frequent and regular and resolved themselves into active labor by late evening (stripped mid-morning). I am still not sure if it was a result of the membranes being stripped, walking around all day at the fair, or the chili dog I ate there, or all 3. Or if it was just my time and the rest was all coincidence. Since I was never really sure it worked, I didn't have it done with my younger kids. From my own story and those of other women I've compared notes with, if it is going to work at all you will start having contractions pretty much immediately, and within a few hours they will either be tapering off or picking up and you'll know if it's going to work or not. Walking/hiking can help.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I had that done when I had my son... I went into labor that evening, I believe. And it wasn't super fast, I called my OB and was told to go walk around a little to get things moving a bit. I met her in the hospital later that afternoon and ended up needing an emergency c-section because i never got past 4cm, even after my water broke. So, I guess it just depends. For me, it was pretty quick, as far as getting me into the hospital and ready to deliver, but I was still in active labor forEVER it seemed...
    LeapDayMommy

Answer by LeapDayMommy at 12:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• There's really no telling. It all varies from one experience to the next. My doctor "tried" to strip my membranes at 39.5 weeks ("tried" because I was only at "maybe a 1", but I was going for a VBAC and she wanted to "help things along" any way she could). I went into labor 3 days later, very suddenly, but I think that was a bit long to be attributed to the membrane stripping. My water was also artificially broken, but only about 4 hours into labor, and again only because the doctor wanted to "help things along".

I've heard of women who had their membranes stripped and then went into labor within hours, and others who saw no labor until a week or two later. I'm not sure rapidity of labor or membrane rupture have anything to do with having your membranes stripped.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I went into labor a week after having that done and it doesnt hurt at all having your membranes stripped like many women say. Its done so quick.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I have heard that some women go into labor that same night and some nothing happens just a couple of more contractions. Hey but at 4cm at least you only have 6 more to go lol, best of luck. I am not sure about how fast the labor is or how long, but it probably just depends on the women.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Thank you so very much ladies, I am really whiching that things will happen soon. I really do understand that everyone is different, I guess what I am interested it is hearing stories and maybe a little encouragement. This as you all know is very stressfull.
    kittymontclaire

Comment by kittymontclaire (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I never had it done but my best friend did and she went into labor a few hours later. She was in labor for 3 days and ended up with a c section :(
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 2:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2010