Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Running A At-Home Daycare

I have had 2 friends approach me to babysit their babies during the day..

It would be my 1 8 month old and 2 babies, I am confident I'd be able to care for all 3 babies but, I just wonder if it would be worth it...

I work most weekends so, I'd be very busy- plus I'm a graduate student (classes are mostly online, some nights)

And, what about taxes... I wonder how that works? I've looked online and haven't seen any good resources...


Asked by MDT09 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 16 (2,933 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • In most states you can watch up to 5 children other than your own WITHOUT a license.
    Ive done it for MANY MANY years both past and present and I get pd cash..I do 50/day for 1 FT child...and hourly at 8.5 for the other b/c it is unsteady...
    Personally Yes, I love children butyou feel TRAPPED when you are home all day many things could be done with your own that you can't b;c you have others. ONE MAJOR REASON I turned to my Home Based Business.

    Answer by Happymom2-2 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • Keep a reciept book. When its tax time, you turn it in to your accountant...or whomever you have do your taxes. They will file you as self employed.
    And depending on how much your charging will show if it will be worth it or not. You can always give them 2-4 week notice if you decided its not somethign you want to do.
    Good Luck :)

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • check on the licensing rules in your state before you agree to anything, here in MI you must have a license to watch any unlreated children in your home for more than 4 weeks out of a year

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • I work at an in-home daycare and for me the money suckss lol but for my boss she is basically bankin! She is all legal through the state with 12 kids here but she charges like $20 a day for 18 months and older and $120 a week for infants to 18 months.

    Answer by AshleaaKayy at 2:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • there's a woman at the apartment buiding I live in that goes throught the Job and Family services here, she gets paid up to 500 some dollars a month per kid. But she does it from like 4 in the morning til night time. And has like 10 kids at a time. I thought about doing it before, but right now my son is in the terrible two's and that quickly changed my mind lol. I would try watching the kids a few days, and see how it goes before deciding for sure you can do it, But GL :)

    Answer by Jessica1991 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • I had a home day-care for a year, so maybe I can help you. It's a pretty long process so bear with me. this very 1st thing you need to do is make sure there aren't any zoning restrictions where you live. Some neighborhoods are strictly residential. To do that go to the city hall and give them your address. I didn't know about this and actually had to move to be able to open one. 2nd thing is go to DHR (or whatever is over this in your area) and fill out an application. They'll give you a handbook with all the other rules and regulations. You'll have to have a back-ground check and finger prints and all that great stuff. In my area this was $50; not sure for your area. then just read through the handbook. there's A LOT of other things you'll have to do, such as making sure all medicines are locked up, chemicals locked up, there's a certain amount of toys and books you'll have to have. You have to have a licensed sub agree cont.

    Answer by renea20 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • agree to be your back-up. Your DH and any other adults in your household also have to have finger prints and back ground check. You'll have to have TB skin testg and physical. You also have to be certified in CPR and first aid...I'm sure there's more but I can't think right now. It's really A LOT of work, but it's a rewarding experience! I only gave it up b/c we had to take an extended trip out of state. After we moved back we moved into another place that doesn't allow businesses. :-(
    Good luck!

    Answer by renea20 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • OH!
    I also had to take 24 hours in CER classes. But it was actually very fun! In my area they offered them 3 nights a week, plus Saturdays.

    Answer by renea20 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2010