How to potty train speech delayed son?

I have a three year old son who is speech delayed, and possibly autistic (he'll be evaluated in a few months). I would like some advice as to how to potty train him. PLEASE!!

CSJMommy3

Asked by CSJMommy3 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I will reassure you by saying that when my dd was 3...(she has mild aspergers) I was worried too...she had a speech delay and was just behind in lots of areas.

I was truly worried that she might be very old when she was trained.....but she wasnt! She trained easier than my talkative, typical son did....lol.....

He might surprise you :)

Just be VERY consistent....keep at it and dont give up...he will give it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My 3 yr old daughter was/is also speech delayed. We tried charts, treasure boxes, stickers, gummy bears, EVERYTHING!

Finally her summertime daycare teacher started giving her a McDonald's prize at the end of the day if she went all day without having an accident. She was in panties too. It worked, may be an idea for him?

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Depends on the child. Is he showing any intrest in the concept? Are there any sensory issues you may be up against? A speech delay alone is no problem for potty training. You can use signs tpo help him idecate to you he would like to use it. You can use charts and stickers and prizes just like any other child. Also like any other child ther is no reason to start unless he is 'acting' ready.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Thank you everyone for the responses.
    He is showing some interest like not liking a wet diaper, and moving his potty to whatever room we are in. He does not like to sit on it, but is getting better with the help of me singing, blowing bubbles, and acting silly...lol.. hey if it works I'll do it. Should I ask his speech therapist for some advice/pictures or something?
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My DS has a severe speech delay (yet is not autistic. We had him tested a month and a half ago) took to potty training better than my DD did. I had him wear pull-ups for a few months before we actually started so he could get use to putting them on and off on his own with ease. Then one morning, as soon as he got up, I had him sit on the potty in our kitchen naked. I had him sit there until he finally went potty. It took some time because he wasn't so sure about it, but finally he did, even though it was just a little. He got a bunch of praise and we did a happy dance and he got a special treat. I let him off the potty for a little bit and 15 minutes later, he had to sit back down on it (our kitchen was in the center of our small house so he wasn't alone or missing out on anything). Within 3 days, he had it down pat; even going #2! It just takes tons of persistance!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 1:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• my oldest didnt talk until after he was 5 and wasnt potty train until like all most 6 or before the reason he couldnt talk was becuase his addnouse were big and he got his tonsils out and tubs put in and after that he started talking now my baby is haveing speech delay
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• let him go to the store and let him pick out some under wear that he likes it might help as well good luck
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Sounds like you are well on your way. I would def ask the ST ,if he has an OT her also, about help with getting him ready.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My son has a fairly severe speech delay. He's about 50% potty trained now (we had a huge setback about a month ago when he got really sick for about a week).
    He started knocking on the bathroom door when he needed to go potty. The really cute part is that I'll ask him if he needs to go potty or if he wants to play in the potty and he'll tell me which he wants to do, lol (he is 2.5).
    All you really need to do is work out some sort of non verbal way for him to tell you what he needs to do.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 4:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Thank you all for your comments.... it really helps a lot.
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2010