my dog is being really protective.

he follows me around the house, he sits under my chair, if i so much as get up he is right on my heels. if someone walks by he stands by me in his defense stance glaring at them, and if they look at me he barks at them. i think it's because i'm pregnant. anyone else's dog do this? it's getting annoying.

jennifer588

Asked by jennifer588 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Pets

• i have an american bulldog, and he's my baby. dh and i would wrestle around for fun, and he would just wag his tail, wanting to join in the fun. but when i was a few months pregnant, he started barking every time we rough housed. now i'm too big to play ;)
    i think it just might be the fact that you're pregnant. how far along are you? if he's already great with kids, i think he will settle down once you have the baby. my dog is very calm around kids (okay, he loves them so much he tries slurping their faces off, my bad), so i'm not really worried. we're going to have him stay with a friend right after i give birth, because he sleeps in our room, and i don't want outside germs in there. good luck with the dog, and congrats on the baby!!!
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 9:22 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• you need to nip it in t he bud now mom. That type of behavior is his way of saying to you and the world "I OWN her". you are his property and it will get worse and worse until he literally will not allow anyone(maybe even the baby) near you. I would consult a trainer asap. I have dealt with problem case/aggressive dogs for at least 15 yrs, and this really isnt a "cute" thing. its agression. good luck, witht he baby as well :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• yes duke our bit bull does that! he used to be protective of my husband while we were dating but now he is my body guard! while i was pregnant i think i drove him crazy getting up to go to the bath room every 10 min! lol!! he is a good boy and very well trained. i fell very safe when im home alone with duke there! he has kinda backed off now that im not pregnant anymore. he sleeps between our room and the babies room at night now!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You need to socialize the dog more.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Has anything else changed? These behaviors do not normally just "suddenly" appear without some sort of outside influence--like moving to a new home, a new person living in the house, a new pet, etc.

Protective behaviors are not all bad. But they do need to be controllable. One suggestion would be to work on some basic commands like a sit stay. Or a down stay. Redirect the behavior into something positive that you can reward.

My dog will bark if people are on my sidewalk. I just put him in a down stay. Then I can praise him. Now, he'll bark once and lay down and wait for a pat. I WANT him to alert me when someone is nearby. That's his JOB. :) But I don't need excessive barking either.

I would also work now on socializing him with kids if you have not already. On leash. Make sure you have good recall and at least a good sit stay and a "no jump" command on him.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 12:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Your dog is confused as to who is alpha dog. He feels he has to protect you. Simple behavior modifications should help (yours and his). You have to be consistent though. Start with: make sure he sees you eat first before you feed him, schedule feed him, so only feed him the amount the bag says you should feed him and divide it up between two feedings a couple hours apart., always letting him see you eat first. Do not let him on any furniture (this can be temporary if you like having him up with you, just until he understands you're alpha). If he's laying in your path make him get up and move instead of stepping over him. Establish positive and negative markers (treat for positive and a spray bottle or soda can with pennies for negative) Reward when he does what you want, use negative marker when he doesn't something you don't want him to. My negative marker is Uh Uh. message me if you want more advice, I'm a dog trainer.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 12:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Dogs just sense things and they can come really protective in some situations. When I broke my ankle, for 2 weeks my Malamute would not leave my side, she knew I was injured. When I could get around easier then she went back to her normal routine. She is also very protective of kids, any kids at all. So your dog might just be guarding you, trying to make sure you are ok.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 8:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Yes- my chi/yorkie mix is So Protective over me! When i say " Enough" she calms down-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 8:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• he is good with simple commands like sit, stay, be quiet, no, down, and lay down. he is great with kids and will play with our 3 year old dd. but not so much with men or other dogs. nothing has really chaned lately except he has noticed that i'm pregnant.
    jennifer588

Comment by jennifer588 (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010