Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you move and have a custody order does your x husband have to approve my move?

If you move and have a custody order does your x husband have to approve my move?
I mentioned I might be moving in Sept. and he said I will have to contact domestic relations so he can approve *my* move. I will be staying in my current state.

I"m sorry I had to delete this because i couldn't edit the question!!

My son is 3 and not in school yet.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • Does the father have any court ordered visitation with the child?

    Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • Check your original custody order, it should say in there. If it doesn't contact a lawyer in your area, most would give you this information in a free consultation.
    But in most cases you do not have to get approval as long as you are staying in the state. Some orders are more specific (ex. more than 100 miles, etc).

    Answer by mommy11260 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • ok one more time depends on your state and your specific order. for example my order says I have to tell ex and he has to say ok, before I take our son anywhere, even to a diff town(he obviously wants his son close to him). 1. check your papers, 2. call your local county curcuit clerk to ask the laws for your county and state, 3. call a lawyer with free consultaions. go to the lawyer with a list ready so you get the most out of the free time. good luck. :)

    Answer by Bearsjen at 12:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • Here in AL if you want to move 60miles or more away, you have to either have it be approved by the ex, or you have to prove to a judge why it is better for the child to move for example, more money, more family, better school system, etc

    Answer by soccerchik8287 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • Ditto to Bearsien answer. I will add be diligent on doing your part to avoid surprises but do not let your ex intimidate you. I had full custody of my oldest children, established on the divorce papers but those were other times and i was living in PR. I had a positive relationship with my ex and kept in touch with the kids grandparents. I hope your little one has the love he deserves from both, you and his dad. moving should not change that! Hugs!

    Answer by roxipoet at 1:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.