i got the depo shot 6 weeks after having my son via c-section. i have not had a period as of yet. will the shot prevent me from pregnancy if i had unprotected sex.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes it should. The depo is very effective. I was on it for 9 months and never gotten prego. Although there is a small amount of women that still get prego on birth control but its rare especiallyon the depo.
    tinkerbell319

Answer by tinkerbell319 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It should but if you show any other symptoms of pregnancy you should test.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I did Depo for a while. I never got another period while I was on it, even though they said otherwise. I did not get pregnant. When I went in, they said it was normal. Just wished they mentioned it before hand, I was worried!!!
    Tidbitz

Answer by Tidbitz at 12:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• How long ago was that? I think it takes several weeks afterwards to be effective, I know with the pill you should count on 2wks- 1month to be fully effective, I know nothing is immediate besides condoms, all hormonal forms of birth control have a window of time where you need to double up on protection, not positive what it is with the depo though.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 12:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Depo usually is effective very quickly because it is injected into you and therefore enters your body's natural streams quicker than a pill does. Still call your doctor and talk to him/her if you have questions as they can advise you best.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 1:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2010