Could you make it on $1600 a month?

I will be getting a divorce soon and this would be my monthly income. I have two children, ages 5 and 7. We will be living in a fairly low cost of living, rural area...and we have family and friends close. I am a frugal person (not cheap...lol) and know how to stretch a dollar.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• We already do, a family of 4.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Oh heck yes.. I make it on $1200 a month.. 2 kids, one on the way.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You can do anything you set your mind to. There are ways to cook, eat, and things you can do to really stretch your dollar and make that work for you. As long as you can find someplace with cheap rent and no car payments I think you could do that. Good luck!!!!!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 12:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Heck no, our mortgage is more than that.
    Tidbitz

Answer by Tidbitz at 12:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• That all depends on the cost of living in your area. How much is your housing, food, transportation, child care, personal maintenance etc...
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I guess if I was divorced and moved into a small apartment... even then I don't know, our family of 3 struggles on a lot more!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• $1600 a month would mean a lessened rent (may not be the best neighborhood but you CAN find decent places if you look VERY hard) and maybe needing assistance, but you CAN do it.

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• For yourself and kids, yes it may work. We currently have alot of debt right now working on getting it paid off, we couldn't live off that at the moment, we are a family of 6.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• nope- rent is 1300 a month and we jsut moved out of a house that WAS costing 1800 a month
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• we did it for a while it was hard. sometimes we would run out of food and go to my parents to eat ! we buy on sale and only wat we have to have! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2010