Did anyone become hypothyroid after the birth of a child?

Looking for symptoms and info on what happened at the doc to diagnose and treat.

Tidbitz

Asked by Tidbitz at 12:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Health

• I had the symptoms of hypothyriod problem immediatley following DS birth.

It took a long time for my hormones to get back to normal. I felt crappy but i couldn't put my finger on what it was really. My hair and nails were yucky, my blood pressure was high. I had a thyroid test and it came back irregular but not completley dysfunctional so we didn't do any real treatment for it.

In my own reading (on the web) i found that some women have thyriod problems after pregnancy and that they can be connected to post-partum depression. Either the hormone imbalance caused by your thyriod problem can mimic they symptoms of post-partum depression OR that your inability to cope with the birth of your child is causing so much stress on your body that it is effecting your hormones.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2010