crib bumpers?

Do you use them? I do, but we don't have air conditioning and my baby doesn't seem to be getting the air from the fan. I want to take it off but I don't want her to hit her head. If you don't use one does your baby hithis/her head often or no?

mombug

Asked by mombug at 12:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't use the bumpers because I have the play pen with a connected sleep level but I'm going to be switching to an actual crib. I have heard that the crib bumpers are more dangerous than not having them. My brother doesn't use the crib bumpers and his kids are fine.
    MamaslilAngels2

Answer by MamaslilAngels2 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I didn't use bumpers with my kids and they were fine. They are actually a safety risk. Many babies have suffocated because of them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I never used them, I heard it was a SIDS risk.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:13 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I use them, it keeps my DS from bumping his head at night. IMO bumpers are a personal opinion. If you want to use them, you can and if you don't want to, then you don't have to.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 12:16 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• While they can be a suffocation risk, if you're child has good control of their head, then they should be able to wake up and move if they are having difficulty breathing. I say, SHOULD be. I, however, am not willing to risk this. If she bumps her head, it isn't going to be very hard, not even hard enough to hurt or wake her. I would rather know that she was safe, than risk it. Also, I like to be able to see her without standing over her and with a bumper, that really isn't possible. Good luck!
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 12:51 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• We co-sleep, but they aren't recommended anymore. Those were around when crib bars weren't regulated but now they are close together and baby can't fall through.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• We never used them. Actually, my son didn't sleep in his crib until he was about 6 months old. I was terrified that he would get his arm/leg caught in between the slats or hit his head also. My doctor said there are risks associated with them and that it would be safer w/o them.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 11:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• We used them until my son was rolling over because then he liked sleeping on his stomach. However, once we took them off he started getting his little legs stuck between the bars. So we did some research and found some that are actually made from a kind of mesh material so air can pass through them (so no suffocation risk), enough padding to protect his head, and no more stuck legs! They are also designed so they won't give the baby any more height if they try to climb. I found them on Amazon.com, just search for bumpers. Good luck!
    Sandie0819

Answer by Sandie0819 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008