A friend of mine is wanting to get a gun for self defense. Her ex has been acting crazy and threatening her and their child. How does she go about getting one and getting a license to carry and all that?

I'm sure it's probably different state-to-state, but if ya'll could give us some ideas on where to begin it would be great! Thanks!

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You can buy a shot gun without a background check. The tasser is a good idea, but she needs to be trained on how to use any weapon for self-defense.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Honestly, here in TN, if you go in to buy a pistol, they do the background check and everything right then, and you can walk out of the store with the gun.
    For the carry permit here, you have to take an approved class, and then go to the DMV, with proof that you have passed the class, and apply and pay for the actual permit to carry.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Here in Kentucky, when you buy a gun from a gun shop, they will do a background check right there and if you are legally allowed to have one they will license it for you before you ever leave with it.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Have her either call the police department and get the info or go to a gun shop and they will give her all the info. She will need a background check, classes and a carrying license.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I'd go to a gun shop and I think they do it all. I think a taser gun might be something I'd collect~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• BTW, she has a restraining order on him, but we all know that doesn't always do any good. :-(
    renea20

Comment by renea20 (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• does this mean you guys might have gun range parties now?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Gun laws are different from area to area, not just state to state. Chicago is/was an an example of having different laws than the state of Illinois. She should go into a shop that sells them legally and find out the information. I do caution against getting a gun though. I just don't feel they are safe especially with kids in the house. A taser or something like that and is non-lethal I think is better because if you accidentally shoot the wrong person, at least there is a much higher chance the person won't die from it.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 1:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2010