Judge blocks a new Nebraska abortion law, thoughts?

OMAHA, Neb. – A federal judge on Wednesday blocked a new Nebraska law requiring mental health screenings for women seeking abortions because the measure could have made it impossible to get an abortion in the state.

U.S. District Judge Laurie Smith Camp granted Planned Parenthood of the Heartland's request for a preliminary injunction against the law, which was supposed to take effect Thursday. The order will prevent the state from enforcing the law until the lawsuit challenging it is decided.

Planned Parenthood said the law could be difficult to comply with and requires doctors to give information irrelevant to abortions.

State officials have said it is designed to make sure women understand the risks and complications that may accompany an abortion.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100714/ap_on_re_us/us_nebraska_abortion_laws

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Lots of medical procedures have risks, both physical and psychological. Should everyone be forced to undergo a psych eval before treatment? Of course not.

It's a ridiculous notion, and just another way to suggest that women are second class citizens who aren't fully capable of making medical decisions on their own. Good for the judge for blocking it!
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 2:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I agree with the judge. This is a slippery slope. You may not agree with abortion, but it the government can determine that you need to get a psychological evaluation for a medical procedure, what's to stop them from requiring it of all procedures? It's a lot of money and had the potential to take away our freedom of choice (whether it be for abortion or breast implants). I agree that there should be counseling available after abortions if the patient chooses to accept that help. Requiring it is where I draw the line.  JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think people should have mental health evaluations before the are able to register to vote.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think a mental health screening is a wonderful idea. Not only to see if they really want to go through with it, but to make sure they'll be able to deal with it afterwards. I a lot of women end up regretting them. Terminating a pregnancy can have long-term effects, which some women aren't aware of. It's not something that should be taken lightly.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I agree with most of this, but it is not the govenrments job...and shouldn't be mandatory. Maybe a dr. can recommend...but not force..."

I can see your point. Maybe the government should only be allowed to make it mandatory if they're paying for it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i think they should have it in all states. and counseling afterward.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think mental health screening is a very good idea that should not be blocked!

Answer by older at 1:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• bumped ya!

Answer by older at 1:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I get the intent but I have to say I have to go with the slippery slope. However I DO think they should get an U/S and understand EXACTLY what the baby looks like and has grown (organs, features ect) at the point at which they want to have an abortion so they know EXACTLY what they are doing. If they STILL want to then of COURSE it's their CHOICE....but it should b a fully INFORMED choice!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It's not true that most women regret them, you're just more likely to hear from women who do.

It's not socially acceptable to say, "I had an abortion, it wasn't a hard decision, and i don't regret it. I'm glad i didn't have that baby". Plus, anti-abortion folks, who do most of the recruiting for anecdotal evidence (which is what we see in commercials or as quotes on billboards), don't tend to choose people who are glad they aborted thier baby.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2010