Turning the baby, or C-section

So i just found out that my baby is breech..im 38 weeks today. My doc gave me 2 options, either have a doc turn the baby or schedule a csection. Im not sure what is the best, what would you choose?

JaydnsMom22

Asked by JaydnsMom22 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have heard that turning the baby can be really uncomfortable/painful. It's also not always successful. However, it seems silly to me not to at least TRY, ya know? I'd take a vaginal birth over a c-section any day.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• If I were in that position, I would have had the doctor(or in my case midwife) try to turn the baby!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• c-section
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would have the doctor try to turn the baby and then if that doesn't work have a C section.
    LisamomofJames

Answer by LisamomofJames at 1:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would definitely go with the less invasive option of trying turning the baby first then, if that did not work c-section it would be.
    mom-2-five

Answer by mom-2-five at 1:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• They are both risky. I've had 2 csections. I know that they can turn our baby and the baby can go into distress so they do an emergency csection. You also risk the umbilical cord tightning if it is not long enough.... My first csect was an emergency.. second my child was breech, so we just did another csection. You don't get to experience a vaginal childbirth.. But the end result is you are holding your sweet baby! Good luck! Spend some time reading online.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Those are NOT your only options. The BEST option is to go to a Chiropractor who does the Webster technique. The Webster technique has about an 80% chance of turning the baby, and is NON-INVASIVE, unlike having the doc turn your baby, or a c-section. There is also the website, www.spinningbabies.com, which gives simple exercises that help promote a good position for the baby.
    Lastly, I would NOT schedule a c-section under these circumstances due to the fact that your baby can change positions ANY time, even in labor. In addition, you absolutely can deliver a breech baby, however, it does seem that your doctor is not trained in that which is why he recommended what he did. The biggest thing in delivering a breech is to not do anything... no touching the baby, no cutting the cord until the breathing is well established, no tugging, no nothing. Just let the baby come out, and then start touching to stimulate breathing.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• my baby was breeched and my doctor told me not to worry about it that the baby can move to the head down position when labor begins but their are some things you can try I looked up breeched babys up on yahoo and their are some safe excersise you can do like crawl lol and much more... Good luck
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 2:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Did anybody recommend spinningbabies.com It has natural ways to get babies to turn on their own like a bag of frozen peas - I just don't remember what part of your tummy you are supposed to put them on. Safer than "version" which is when the doctor tries to force the baby to turn. I would not schedule a c-section. I would wait until labor starts and then find out what position the baby is in a make your decision then. I would also look for another provider who is experienced in breach birth. Breach carries risks but so does a c-section especially if you plan to have more children after this one.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• well, i would do things at home to try to turn baby. check out spinningbabies.com also, look into a chiropractor that know the webster techniques. that could help turn baby. if baby still hasn't turned, you can talk to your dr about manually turning baby.
    also, you could wait to see if baby will turn on its own. babies can turn during labor. i would wait until labor started.
    also, you can talk to your dr about why he doesn't deliver babies that are breech. many babies are born breech and are fine.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:17 AM on Jul. 15, 2010